[News] 'Clouds' and SSD Claimed to be Overhyped

Netbooks and Mini-Laptops Buyer's Guide

,----[ Quote ]
| The article on El Reg begins with what I think is a highly debatable (at
| best) or dubious (in reality) statement: namely, that you should opt for a
| netbook with an SSD, or solid state drive, instead of a model with a more
| traditional hard drive. "We'd argue that the solid-state drive is what the
| SCC is all about," El Reg argues, "capacity enough for the OS and a sub-set
| of your data, with the resilience you want from a throw-around machine."
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/20286/Netbooks_and_Mini-Laptops_Buyer_s_Guide

Do 'Clouds' Get in the Way?

,----[ Quote ]
| No one would accuse IBM senior vice president and group executive Steve Mills
| of having his head in the clouds.
|
| IBM's top software honcho heads up a $20B operation at one of the world's
| foremost IT players. Still, Mills maintains that clouds are getting in his
| way. More precisely, Mills was speaking this week about cloud computing --
| and the casual way most companies and users throw around the term to describe
| anything and everything that has to do with Web-based activities and
| applications.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3770936

Recent:

Geek Sheet: A Tweaker’s Guide to Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tweak #4: Ditch the journal and RAID your SSDs.  File system journaling is
| done primarily for increased reliability, but it’s a drag on performance.
| Given that SSDs by their nature are going to be less prone to reliability
| quirks than a conventional drive, Mandrake suggests creating a RAID1 of two
| SSD units and formatting the file system to ext2, or formatting them to ext3
| and mounting them as ext2 in the /etc/fstab. Dump your MySQL database on a
| RAID of ext2 SSDs, and you’ll be in performance hog heaven.
|
| Gonna mortgage your house or send your children into slavery for sweet SSD
| love?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190

If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| It's Windows Vista's fault that solid-state storage isn't performing as well
| as its proponents predicted. So said SanDisk CEO Eli Harari, but at least he
| didn't go as far as saying it's Microsoft's problem to fix.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/

Related:

Vista - How Much Memory Can I Have With Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/vista/vista-32bit-memory.htm