[News] [Rival] Microsoft Escapee Lands in Company that Sells GNU/Linux

[This can't be good news. If they demote Linux, that'll be why:]

Ex-Microsoft Exec Poole Joins NComputing

,----[ Quote ]
| A 25-year industry veteran, Poole most recently served as corporate vice
| president of Microsoft's Unlimited Potential Group, which focuses on IT
| technology needs in underserved countries. He was also active in the
| company's involvement with the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) organization and
| helped bring Windows to OLPC machines.

Former Microsoft exec named NComputing co-chairman

Microsoft exec to leave for NComputing

| Poole, 47, said he and his wife will remain in their Bellevue home.

NComputing Turns To Microsoft For New Co-Chair

,----[ Quote ]
| Each product line has accounted for roughly half of NComputing's shipments in
| achieving 1 million unit sales, Drukker said.

Sustainable computing for the masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Dukker says about 40 per cent of NComputing's customers have chosen Linux
| (the company uses Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora or SuSE) and the remainder have gone
| with Windows on the host. He is careful to specify that he has no religion
| when it comes to the operating system - it is entirely the buyer's choice.
| (Of course, if he were not offering the GNU/Linux option, then he wouldn't
| have got a run here).

Poor nations gain more choices in computing

,----[ Quote ]
| The NComputing system cuts costs tremendously. The cost per child of each
| NComputing system, for seven users, is $70 each, in a system running at just
| 1 watt per user.

[Latest SEC filing from Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
| To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
| of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
| our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.

http://www.  microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

Dumb terminals provide smart solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Thin client technology is not new - it has been used widely in banking and
| sectors which want to avoid placing sensitive information on individual PCs.
| NComputing has also been deploying its technology in factories where
| operating conditions are not suitable for ordinary PCs.

Macedonia: A New Sun of Linux Freedom Rises

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| A batch of 7,000 PCs with Ubuntu Linux have been sent to Macedonian schools,
| the first of a collection that Ubuntu sponsor Canonical expects will reach
| 20,000.

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]