[News] Free Software Contributions Not Just from Programmers

The open source principles of participation

,----[ Quote ]
| But times have changed, and open source isn't just about software anymore.
| Certainly that's still a large part of it, but there's so much more now that
| is called open source than ever before, and not all of it deals with
| software.  There's lots of open source projects out there that don't require
| source code or software to be classified as an open source, or community
| project.  Therefore, you no longer need to be able to code in order to
| participate.  Actually, programming skills never were really a requirement
| for participation, but more a bonus skill.
|
| A perfect example of this comes from a recent interview I did with Michael
| Shiloh of Open Moko.  When I asked him about how people could participate in
| his project, he brought up a couple of very interesting examples of how
| people could participate without needing to know how to program.   The first
| was a gentleman who came to the developers and said, "I'm a musician and I'd
| love to participate, but I don't know how to program."  They immediately told
| him "Not a problem.  We need people to write and record ring tones for us."
| which he could very easily do for them.  Another example came from an artist
| who said more or less the same thing about himself, to which the developers
| said, "We could use someone to create icons and artwork for us."
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=462

Recent:

Some news is good news--online coaches will help shape $5 million ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| And the best news for the open source community? The rules stipulate that
| applications must:
|
|    1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
|    2. Serve the public interest.
|    3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
|
| Past winners I have had the pleasure of meeting include Sir Tim Berners-Lee
| and Martin Moore ($350,000), Chris Csikszentmihályi, Mitchel Resnick, and
| Henry Jenkins ($5,000,000), and Adrian Holovaty ($1,100,000). Bravo, all! As
| for future winners, they could include you, if you have a great idea about
| how open source can be applied to improving the quality and impact of civic
| discourse.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/366

IT Leaders Encouraged to Contribute Enterprise Code to Open-Source Projects

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/405913/IT_Leaders_Encouraged_to_Contribute_Enterprise_Code_to_Open_Source_Projects
http://tinyurl.com/6378w4