[News] Powerful KDE Applications and SMPlayer Rave

8 Essential Applications Included by Default in Kubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| This article intends to select and briefly review 8 of the most useful
| applications which come by default with Kubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron' (the LTS
| release which comes with KDE 3.5.9), as included on the Live CD.
`----

http://linux-weekly.blogspot.com/2008/09/8-essential-applications-included-by.html

SMPlayer: A high quality wrapper

,----[ Quote ]
| Loosely speaking, in software terms, a wrapper is something that provides an
| alternate interface to another object. SMPlayer is an advanced multimedia
| player wrapped around MPlayer that provides a friendlier and more powerful
| front end to the underlying application. SMPlayer can play practically
| anything -- you can watch DVDs and VCDs, stream videos from a URL, or play
| audio CDs or MP3s.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/146958

These applications are more powerful than some of the stuff proprietary
platforms come with.

Recent:

SMPlayer Review - One of the Most Powerful Video Players for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Since it uses Qt 4, integration with KDE 4.x is very good and the interface
| blends smoothly in the environment. As for speed, comparing to players for
| KDE 3 like Kaffeine, it is a little slower (I'm referring to the interface's
| response only), but I hope this will get fixed as the time passes though.
|
| To sum it up, SMPlayer is a very impressing application and one of the most
| powerful video players for Linux, together with Kaffeine or VLC.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/06/smplayer-review-one-of-most-powerful.html

Audio/Visual Synthesis For Linux: The New Art, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| As mentioned above, my focus has been on software intended for creative
| artists, with an emphasis on realtime or near-realtime processing
| capabilities. I have purposefully ignored Cinelerra, Blender, and other
| similar applications that are better understood as video sequence editors and
| compositors, though they share some of the tools and techniques of the
| software I'll profile in the next part of this article. Until then, hasta la
| vista (y la sonida) !
|
| [...]
|
| As mentioned above, my focus has been on software intended for creative
| artists, with an emphasis on realtime or near-realtime processing
| capabilities. I have purposefully ignored Cinelerra, Blender, and other
| similar applications that are better understood as video sequence editors and
| compositors, though they share some of the tools and techniques of the
| software I'll profile in the next part of this article. Until then, hasta la
| vista (y la sonida) !
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/audiovisual-synthesis-linux-new-art-part-1

Give Me 3 Synths, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Minicomputer is an excellent synth with some great possibilities. While its
| author emphasizes its effectiveness in hardcore sound styles I found it to be
| an excellent straightforward subtractive synth with some uncommon filtering
| capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/give-me-3-synths-part-2

Five of the Best Linux Audio Players