Re: [News] Prettiness of 'Non-Default' Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Ubuntu 8.10: Compuz-Fusion Cube Deformation

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s neat eye candy like this that attracts attention, but it’s performance | and reliability that attracts users. What impresses me is that I can have all | of this eye candy and all of the software that I need running at any given | moment and still only be using ~600mb of ram! `----

http://kyleabaker.com/2008/09/10/ubuntu-810-compuz-fusion-cube-deformation/

Hmm, my Mandriva "Cube":

http://ml2mst.googlepages.com/mdkgnome3.jpg

The Ubuntu Look Can be Changed, but Linux CAN NOT have a “Look”.

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh I get it, if GNU/Linux can’t make the user drool when he sees a Linux | desktop, we’ll never get a large userbase. Here’s what I think; let’s not | teach people to recognize Linux, but let’s teach people to recognize | something that works as Linux. | | Lots of people are still complaining about the default Ubuntu theme and while | I congratulate the artists that brought us Hardy Heron (really, making brown | and orange and beige almost attractive is quite a feat), aside from the | background and a few Wm tweaks here & there, there was nothing new, nothing | to ‘Wow‘ the users. `----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/09/10/the-ubuntu-look-can-be-changed-but-linux-can-not-have-a-look/

My Mandriva desktop (Gnome with desklets and Avant Windows Navigator):

http://ml2mst.googlepages.com/mdkgnome1.jpg

The Gnome menu, using the Blue LagoonX theme:

http://ml2mst.googlepages.com/mdkgnome2.jpg

Not quite as ugly and inconsistent as some of the trolls claim eh?

[rest snipped]

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin