[News] Nicolas 'Microsoft' Sarkozy Takes Lesson from Bush While France Fights for FOSS

  • Subject: [News] Nicolas 'Microsoft' Sarkozy Takes Lesson from Bush While France Fights for FOSS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:50:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

French storm the bastille over 'Sarkozy's Big Sister' database

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine, if you will, an announcement by the UK Government that it is going
| to create a new database to track anyone over the age of 13, who has
| been "active in politics or the trade unions or who has a significant role in
| business, the media, entertainment or social or religious institutions".
| Let's say 20 million individuals who the authorities believe are "likely to
| breach public order".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/11/france_database_tumulte/

Learning French...a lesson in open source acceptance

,----[ Quote ]
| What can be taken from the article is that the French, from a national level
| down, have demonstrated very high levels of open source acceptance.
|
| That doesn't mean that the French sell the most open source products or can
| boast the most open source companies. Neither does it mean that France is
| suddenly the pre-eminent hotspot for open source activity across the globe.
| It simply means that the country has set an example for others to follow in
| its footsteps.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1238&blogid=18

Recent:

France to Tax Internet, Mobile Sales to Fund Ad-Free Public TV

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aZd69BHMTaNs&refer=europe

| [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
| a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
| Michael Appe.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

,----[ Quote ]
| Confidential sources say that President Sarkozy has intervened himself in the
| French position on Microsoft OOXML, asking members of the committee to revert
| their position, and support an abstention. Our sources say he was approached
| by a lobbyist during his 3-days trip in England. The intervention has been
| made on Friday.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670/sarkozy-intervenes-in-france-to-revert-the-ooxml-position

Big Brother: Sarkozy calls for it, his government does it.

,----[ Quote ]
| "I want to see everything and know everything." - Nicolas Sarkozy, 2006, on
| video-surveillance
|
| La Quadrature du Net (Squaring the Net) has seen the draft "Trust Online”
| Charter (FR) that the Ministry of the Interior is asking ISPs to sign by June
| 10th. The text confirms La Quadrature’s worst fears. Under the pretext of
| protecting users, the French government is attempting to put in place an
| all-encompassing Internet monitoring and filtering system. It seeks to avoid
| the usual processes of law-making, in order to impose disproportionate
| obligations on the ISPs – obligations which violate fundamental rights and
| which are contrary to the ethos of the Internet environment.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/%EF%BB%BFbig-brother-sarkozy-calls-it-his-government-does-it

EU hopes for Community patent under French Presidency

,----[ Quote ]
| "If there is enough political will, I am confident of having a solution soon,
| maybe even under the French Presidency," Vijzak stated.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/innovation/eu-hopes-community-patent-french-presidency/article-172847?Ref=RSS

Sarkozy’s broadband tax plan snagged by Eurocrats

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/24/sarko-telco-debacle