[News] Preinstalled GNU/Linux (Ubuntu Mobile) Reviewed on Dell Inspiron

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell wants you to believe the Inspiron Mini 9 is "your new best friend."
| Well, kiddies, the Mini 9 is a fantastic mobile companion that helps you stay
| connected and makes your life easier without breaking the bank. However, I
| can't shake the feeling that the Mini 9 is more like "the kid you're friendly
| with at the lunch table, but isn't your BFF."
`----

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1263

Looks nice.

Recent:

Ubuntu Mobile Edition: Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The mobile Internet device (MID) space is one of the fastest growing
| platforms with new concept designs appearing every month. Nokia was one of
| the earliest vendors with a product (Nokia 770) in this space to ship with a
| Linux operating system (OS) and continues to see solid sales with the current
| model 810. New concept designs come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, and
| many sport a Linux OS.
|
| [...]
|
| With my Q1 I purchased the leather case / USB keyboard accessory to make text
| entry easier. Open Office works just fine under UME, and I was able to enter
| and edit text using the keyboard with no issues. The USB keyboard also
| includes an "eraser head" type mouse that works just fine under UME. I did
| not try to connect a Bluetooth keyboard although this version is supposed to
| support Bluetooth devices.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6511/1/

Open source to 'blow mobiles open'

,----[ Quote ]
| McCabe said that the impending release of Google Android would provide
| a "wonderful catalyst" for the breakdown of proprietary software and hardware
| bundles from telcos. Other open source handset software includes the recent
| release of mobile Ubuntu.
`----

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39253486,00.htm

Trying Out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog posting this morning by Mark Shuttleworth about Netbook Remix, he
| mentions Canonical is currently working with two other companies to design
| more radical user interfaces for their mobile products. Mark also
| mentioned, "The aim was to do something very simple that could be tested
| easily, work with touch devices and made shippable very quickly. It also
| needed to be efficient on lower-power devices, and work well with Intel
| hardware, which seems to be the preferred platform for this generation of
| devices and allows us to slip a few nice effects in that would be hard
| without the right hardware support."
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_netbook_remix&num=1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft