[News] Virtualisation a Free Feature of GNU/Linux, Ahead of Competition

Red Hat: The hypervisor will be free

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has predicted that virtualisation will be included in all operating
| systems for free, while setting out the roles of the two hypervisors it is
| working on for its own product range.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39486551,00.htm

Red Hat sprints past ESX on VM running

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat claims it can run five virtual machines (VMs) for every three that
| VMware's ESX runs in the same server hardware. Qumranet technology also
| enables it to run more Windows virtual desktops than VMware, too.
|
| At a journalists' roundtable in London this week, Benny Schneider, Qumranet
| CEO, said his - now Red Hat's - company's KVM (kernel-based virtualisation
| machine) hypervisor runs 52 VMs in a physical server, in which ESX can host a
| maximum of 35 VMs. Citrix Xenserver is worse: it can only host 30.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/10/run_more_vms_with_red_hat_than_vmware/
http://tinyurl.com/62d56y

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."

                                                --Nathan Newman

Recent:

Red Hat acquires Qumranet

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc has acquired Qumranet Inc, the makers of SolidIce. The
| acquisition of Israel-based company adds a virtual desktop infrastructure
| (VDI) product to Red Hat's product portfolio. Red Hat paid $107 million for
| Qumranet. Qumranet's SolidICE product provides a kernel based virtual machine
| based around the open source KVM project which they also sponsor. The KVM
| project has been incorporated into the mainstream Linux kernel since version
| 2.6.20.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Red-Hat-acquires-Qumranet--/news/111466

Hypervisor Visionary

,----[ Quote ]
| Benny Schnaider is a man who figures to have some influence in how
| competition in the virtualization market plays out. Schnaider is the CEO and
| co-founder of Sunnyvale, Ca.-based Qumranet Inc., which is the sponsor of the
| Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) technology. KVM is an open source
| alternative to the Xen hypervisor, which recently became an approved
| component of the Linux kernel.
|
| Endorsed by Red Hat Inc. and Canonical Ltd.'s Ubuntu -- as well as supported
| in hardware by Intel Corp., Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and IBM Corp. -- KVM
| handles both Linux and Windows guest operating systems without preference.
`----

http://redmondmag.com/reports/article.asp?EditorialsID=757

KVM backer takes virtual desktops on the road

,----[ Quote ]
| Qumranet, the well-moneyed entity behind KVM, is asking folks to help it test
| out some new desktop virtualization code that sends applications out from
| headquarters to remote offices.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/01/qumranet_multi_site_ice/

Red Hat announces embedded Linux hypervisor

,----[ Quote ]
| The Embedded Linux Hypervisor is founded on the Kernel-Based Virtual Machine
| (KVM) project, which has been integrated into the Linux kernel since 2006.
| Red Hat has claimed KVM supports live migration of virtual machines from
| system to system in real-time and also has high availability features.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39436036,00.htm

Ubuntu 8.04 KVM Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With these few single threaded tests, the results were very close between
| Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 8.04 running within a virtualized environment powered
| by KVM. In fact, to an end-user, the results between the two environments
| wouldn't even be noticeable.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_virt_benchmarks&num=1

Related:

Ubuntu picks KVM over Xen for virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| KVM will be built into Ubuntu's next version, called Hardy Heron and due in
| April. "For the Hardy Heron release, we've really picked up the
| virtualization ball. Virtualization is making its way into data centers and
| onto developer workstations everywhere. Even 'regular' users are using it to
| run Ubuntu on Mac OS X all the time," Hansen said. "Virtualization has been
| on our agenda for a long time, but it became a top priority at UDS (Ubuntu
| Developer Summit) in November. We could see that demand for it was growing."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9867657-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The truth about KVM and Xen

,----[ Quote ]
| When the distros first shipped Xen, it was done mostly out of desperation.
| Virtualization was, and still is, the "hot" thing. Linux did not provide any
| native hypervisor capability. Most Linux developers didn't even really know
| that much about virtualization. Xen was a pretty easy to use purpose-built
| kernel that had a pretty good community. So we made the hasty decision to
| ship Xen instead of investing in making Linux a proper hypervisor.
|
| This decision has come back to haunt us now in the form of massive confusion.
| When people talk about Xen not being merged into Linux, I don't think they
| realize that Xen will never be merged into Linux. Xen will always be a
| separate, purpose-built kernel. There are patches to Linux that enable it to
| run well as a guest under Xen. These patches are likely to be merged in the
| future, but Xen will never been a part of the Linux kernel.
|
| [...]
|
| Looking at the rest of the industry, I'm surprised that other kernels haven't
| gone in the direction of Linux in terms of adding hypervisor support directly
| to the kernel.
|
| Why is Windows not good enough to act a hypervisor such that Microsoft had to
| write a new kernel from scratch (Hyper-V)?
|
| Why is Solaris not good enough to act as a hypervisor requiring Sun to ship
| Xen in xVM? Solaris is good enough to run enterprise workloads but not good
| enough to run a Windows VM? Really? Maybe :-)
|
| Forget about all of the "true hypervisor" FUD you may read. The real question
| to ask yourself is what is so wrong with these other kernels that they aren't
| capable of running virtual machines well and instead have to rely on a
| relatively young and untested microkernel to do their heavy lifting?
`----

http://blog.codemonkey.ws/2008/05/truth-about-kvm-and-xen.html

KVM and Xen cofounders engage in war of words

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=415