[News] New Zealand Open Source Award Winners Announced

2008 New Zealand Open Source Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| There was even drama on the stage. Colin Jackson gave the Minister some stick
| over the ISP-hostile DMCA-esque provisions of the latest Copyright Act being
| snuck in after the bill had passed the Select Committee without it. Then I,
| as part of my speech above Matthew, got to observe that the transparency of
| the Standards NZ process was something that New Zealand could be proud
| of--unlike the ACTA and US Free Trade agreements which are being negotiated
| in secret and have considerable potential to interfere with the computer
| industry. The Minister stood up afterward and extended an offer to us and the
| relevant industry representatives to meet the appropriate people after a
| Cabinet meeting and go over our objections with the people who need to hear
| them.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/09/2008-new-zealand-open-source-a.html

Recent:

Awards recognise open source leaders

,----[ Quote ]
| The second annual Open Source Awards were held in Wellington last night,
| handing out awards to open source software users and developers who have made
| an impact at home and abroad.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/D8348EE39BC433C2CC2574CE00820FFD

New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations

| New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations The 2008 New Zealand
| Open Source Awards are open for nominations until 18 July 2008. This year's
| Awards will focus particularly on achievements over the last twelve months
| and follow the successful inaugural event in 2007.

Strong line-up for second open source awards

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the finalists for the second Open Source Awards are an online document
| converter, a typesetting engine and the State Services Commission’s broadband
| map.
|
| [...]
|
| The sponsors were keen to do it again too, both industry giants, such as
| Google, Red Hat and Sun Microsystems, as well as local players, says Daish.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/89208194BDC3A2AACC2574BE000C0301

Radio NZ rolls out Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| Hulse says the use of Ogg Vorbis has been in the planning stage for a while,
| but was delayed while he worked out a way to rationalise Radio New Zealand’s
| storage.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/48FDE3BF317797CECC2574C500031C60

Broadband map released under open source policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The State Services Commission, which contracted local companies to develop
| the map, has formally allowed release of the map’s code under an open source
| licence. This will allow other developers to add new ideas to the map and
| other users, such as local and perhaps overseas governments and people with
| other mapping applications to adapt the code to their own uses.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/A7C6A63DF84733F0CC25745500241494

Kiwi web collaboration outfit goes open

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple of weeks back, a small New Zealand-based company, OnlineGroups.Net,
| released the source code for its online collaboration platform, GroupServer.
| When a big company releases source code for anything, it's often termed a
| risky move. For a small company, the risks are more or less the same.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19127/1148/

Standards NZ asks Microsoft staffer to 'rectify' statements

| Standards New Zealand has asked a Microsoft employee to rectify statements
| made in an email to the Trinidad & Tobago Computing Society about New Zealand
| OOXML advisor Matthew Holloway.
|
| The emails were sent as standards organisations around the world engage in
| sometimes heated debate over whether Microsoft's Office Open XML (OOXML) file
| format should be accepted as a standard alongside the Open Document Format.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0B47485921D44083CC2574110068B1B6

Open source and hiring: Is NZ behind the times?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/5382