[News] Why Migration of Linux Between PCs is Fantastic

Migrations made simple: The beauty of Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| However, these are Linux boxes. That makes all the difference.
|
| The first order of business was building the new box. Using rpm, I built a
| list of installed packages from the old box, formatted in such a way as to
| pass that list directly to yum on the new box, pulling from the yum
| repository on the old server. Within five minutes (with only a few tweaks for
| packages that had changed names or been eliminated), I had all the packages
| installed on the new server that I'd need. They ranged from compat libs to
| MySQL, to ypserv. I then rsync'd the /var/www/ tree, the /usr/local/licenses
| tree, the /var/yp tree, and pulled over the ntp, snmpd, nrpe, yp.conf and
| ypserv.conf files, among others. All of those services fired up without
| complaint. I then rsync'd the custom tools from /usr/local/bin
| and /usr/local/sbin, in addition to all the custom /etc/init.d startup
| scripts for the FLEXlm licenses, brought over the required /etc/httpd/conf.d/
| includes, and added necessary crontab entries to the new box. I copied over
| the various NFS entries from /etc/fstab and wrote a quick script to make all
| the necessary directories to mount those shares. Since the licenses were
| bound to the specific MAC address of the original server, I added a
| MACADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx line to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to
| spoof that MAC, and arranged both interfaces to assume the IP addresses of
| the old server on reboot. A few modifications to the startup scripts with
| chkconfig, pulling over the original SSH keys, and an edit
| of /etc/sysconfig/network, and I was basically all set.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/venezia/archives/018446.html

It's the same on the desktop. One needs to just move home directories and use a
list of installed application to fetch what's missing 'out of the box' from
the repository. Migration time: minutes. Price: zero.

Related:

Transitive Ships Sparc/Solaris Emulator, Partners with Hitachi

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug112907-story03.html