[News] Pakistani School Moves to GNU/Linux (Edubuntu)

Italian LUG turns Pakistani school into a educational model

,----[ Quote ]
| The students of a missionary school in Pakistan, from first graders to
| graduates, have become enthusiast Edubuntu users thanks to the cooperation
| between their administrator and an Italian LUG.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148311

Recent:

Pakistan and Egypt stuffed?

,----[ Quote ]
| We got indications that 2 P-members countries were stuffed with Microsoft
| Business Partners. Those two countries applied for P membership in late
| August and voted Yes without any comments. Don't be surprised if they are out
| of reach for the European Commission.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-48053/pakistan-and-egypt-stuffed

BankIslami joins elite brands

,----[ Quote ]
| "With aggressive IT plans we needed the infrastructure that should meet the
| ever changing technology and should be reliable in all the aspects,
| therefore, choosing Linux for our IT infrastructure was the unanimous
| choice", BankIslami CEO Hasan A Bilgrami remarked.
`----

http://thepost.com.pk/CorpNewsT.aspx?dtlid=121729&catid=8

Related:

Govt committed to enforcing IPR, says IT secy

,----[ Quote ]
| He said the center would help customers, students, developers and
| business partners in Pakistan to experience and test Linux hands-on
| and to explore the benefits of open standards-based computing.
`----

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=113126

500 professionals trained in open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The ministry has begun the project Open Source Resource Centre
| (OSRC) to address queries related to open-source software. The
| resource centre provides assistance to companies intending tos
| ave money by shifting to open-source software solutions.
`----

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007%5C03%5C15%5Cstory_15-3-2007_pg11_11

Pakistani students might be using $100 laptop next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Pakistan Wednesday expressed its resolve to introduce an
| enabling atmosphere to the country's schools and colleges
| to allow students to use low-cost laptops which would
| serve as electronic school bags.
`----

http://paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?161609

Pakistan looks to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Pakistan, a country often criticised for software piracy, is
| looking at free and open source software as a way to transform
| its image and build local skills.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1262

Pakistan takes to alternative software

,----[ Quote ]
| Pakistan, often criticised for software 'piracy', is
| placing its faith on the Free Software and Open Source
| options to get out of this trap and also build local skills.
|
| Also called Free/Libre and Open-Source Software (FLOSS),
| it is a family of software liberally licensed to grant
| the right of users to study, change and improve its
| design through the availability of its source code.
|
| [...]
|
| In Pakistan, the attempt is also to build skills.
| FOSS-FP has been holding short-duration, single-day
| literacy campaigns. 'We give (students) free training
| on installing and using Ubuntu Linux, Open Suse, Red Hat
| Fedora Core,' Bajwa said.
`----

http://www.indiaenews.com/technology/20061024/26059.htm

The First International Conference on Open-Source Technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-Source Software Engineering (OSSE) has emerged as a
| cross-disciplinary paradigm for distributed enterprise
| computing. OSS, in many cases, has kept the software market
| away from monopolies. It is helping organizations to keep
| a control on the cost of development and deployment.
`----

http://uet.edu.pk/icost2006/

Will UAE possibly support Laptops for every child in Pakistan?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/UAE_May_Support_OLPC_In_Pakistan