[News] [Rival] Microsoft Starts Dumping Office to Fight Competition, Blames 'Piracy'

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Starts Dumping Office to Fight Competition, Blames 'Piracy'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:43:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
when there's not."

                                --Bill Gates

Getting them "addicted" while they're young:

£49.99 Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition, 3 Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon offers this exceptional deal for £49.99 delivered instead of £99.99.
| This Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student edition will cost you only £16.67
| per seat.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/articles/2008/09/21/4999-microsoft-office-2007-home-and-student-edition-3-users/

"Fight piracy" = "fight OOo"

Microsoft cuts prices in China to fight piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, the world's largest software firm, is among the hardest-hit
| victims. Pirated versions of Microsoft's Office software can sell in China
| for less than 10 yuan ($1.50).
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSPEK1362420080923

Microsoft aims to undercut Chinese pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has slashed the Chinese price of its Office suite for home users by
| more than 70 per cent in a promotional campaign aimed at persuading consumers
| in the piracy-plagued market that licensed programs can be affordable.
|
| The promotion brings the cost of Office Home and Student 2007 in China from
| Rmb699 to only Rmb199 ($29) – a level less than one-seventh of the retail
| price Microsoft was recommending for the suite of word-processing,
| spreadsheet and presentation software just three months ago.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba625eb2-898c-11dd-8371-0000779fd18c.html

'Poor' Microsoft. But Gates said "piracy" is good. It's easier to compete that
way.

So, some Chinese people are supposedly "raping women and murdering people"
(piracy), but Gates says he likes it. There's no such notion in Free software,
which users are encouraged to share.

"There’s no company called Linux, there’s barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux
sort of springs organically from the earth. And it had, you know, the
characteristics of communism that people love so very, very much about it.
That is, it’s free."

                                                     --Steve Ballmer

"Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols anyone
can implement is communism; it was set up by that famous communist agent, the
US Department of Defense."

                                                     --Richard Stallman

"Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that giving away software is raping women and
killing people (piracy)..."

Related:

Microsoft's $3 software is a cheap stunt

,----[ Quote ]
| But one UK charity boss says the offer of cheap software is
| meaningless without any machines to run it on. "Without the
| hardware it's like donating the tyres but not the tractor," said
| Tony Roberts, CEO of Computer Aid International. "Currently
| the price of a new PC in developing countries is GBP600. That's
| higher than the average annual income per head in countries
| such as Malawi [GBP300] and Zambia [GBP500]."

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
| piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
| matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
| software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
| Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
| operating system.
|
| You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
| Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
| workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
| been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
| networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml

Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe is where the 'apps' are manufactured. These apps that have the
| power to make images appear before our children's eyes. "There were
| all these, like, stars, and they were rotating. It really captured
| my attention," said Nigel, 14, hardly more than a child, but with
| the vacant expression of a man who has spent hours looking at a
| screen. Nigel has now discovered he needs glasses.

$3 Windows a threat to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, in the embedded market, Microsoft attempted to counter
| the low costs of using embedded Linux with a $3 Windows CE licensing
| program launched back in 2003.

The real cost of $3 Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----