[News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

Sept 24 Is World Day Against Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/09/23/2228237.shtml

http://www.ibiblio.org/patents/txt/020294.txt

,----[ Quote ]
|     Oracle Corporation opposes the patentability of software. The Company
|     believes that existing copyright law and available trade secret
|     protections, as opposed to patent law, are better suited to protecting
|     computer software developments.
|
|     […]
|
|     Compared to adequate copyright and trade secret protections, patent
|     protection is excessively broad and enormously expensive.
|
|     CHANGING THE PATENT SYSTEM
|
|     Oracle has recommended that patent protection not be provided for
|     computer software or computer software algorithms, for the reasons
|     described above.

Oracle joins Linux patent commons

,----[ Quote ]
| OIN members -- which currently include IBM, NEC, Novell, Philips,
| Red Hat, and Sony -- agree to assign software patents that might
| affect Linux to the OIN. These patents can then be used by anyone
| in Linux without having to pay any royalty fees or having to worry
| about future law suits.

Old:

Inside Oracle's bombshell plan to support Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid41_gci1232341,00.html