[News] Poor Windows Still Chasing the Elusive 2% Market Share...

Where Windows is #2 to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft encourages us to think of Linux, when we think of it as all, as an
| also-ran operating systems for nerds. The last thing Microsoft wants us to
| think about is that there are some spaces where Microsoft is a distant number
| two and Linux is on top. Too bad Microsoft, there are several such places.
| One such is HPC (High Performance Computing).
|
| At HPC's very highest end, supercomputers, Linux rules. The first computer to
| bust the petaflop, 1.0 quadrillion calculations per second, barrier? IBM's
| Roadrunner supercomputer running Linux. Out of the Top 500 supercomputers in
| the world, over 80% of them are running Linux.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/where_windows_is_2_to_linux

Recent:

Debian GNU/Linux powers Max Planck Institute 32.8 TFlops supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| A team of scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
| have created Germany's 4th largest supercomputer by using Debian GNU/Linux.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1250-Debian-32.8-TFlops-at-Max-Planck-Institute

Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings

,----[ Quote ]
| The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has replaced
| its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that can process
| information vital to protection against typhoons, floods, droughts, tsunamis
| and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of the cost.
|
| The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
| gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
| Debian Linux OS.
|
| "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora etc,"
| said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855

Purdue IT Staff Builds Supercomputer In A Half Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Dwight McKay, Purdue's director of systems engineering, said Steele is
| running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0. It's running a number of scientific
| programming libraries, typical scientific applications, and the cfengine, an
| open source management tool for running a large cluster.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/supercomputers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207601782

French hybrid supercomputer to exceed 300 TFLOPS by 2009

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106975/from/rss09