[Old] Microsoft Shills Attack Researcher, 'Pressure' His Employer

I don't think this was ever posted here, so I'll post it now.

http://www.cypherpunks.to/~peter/zdnet.html

"This is a response to a series of articles by George Ou and Ed Bott of ZDNet
stretching over a period of more than a month. I'll try to stay away from the
assorted personal attacks in George and Ed's articles and just outline the
details.

"It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing
my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that
what I'd said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by
then he'd gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever
actually having seen the slides that he's commenting on. Later he changed his
story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn't attacking the slides at all,
which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn't present anywhere but
the slides.

"Dealing with him was quite weird in a number of other ways as well. For
example whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with
his position, I'd immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I
never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time.
It's as if I had my own personal "news about George Ou" news-clipping service
provided for me by ZDNet."

[...]

"(the "bunch of freaking morons" includes Bruce Schneier and Charlie Demerjian
of the Inquirer, whom he refers to in a preceding email).

"And finally here's ZDNet's technical director signing off (again, censored so
this page doesn't get blacklisted):