Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 13:44 : \____

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/22/public_knowledge_fights_copyright_enforcement_bill/
>>> tripod?
>>
>> Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
>> entire operating system because of it.
>>
>> The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
>> to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.
>

> Can you provide me more info? This one has slipped passed me I have no
> idea what you're referring to.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

http://antitrust.slated.org/gutmann/vista.pdf

"Set up with tripod, perfect lighting, focus → perfect copy
Can control this in cinemas, but will content providers be
able to persuade Congress to legislate placing policemen
in every living room?"

That last one is hugely popular. I think Gutmann took it down, perhaps after
the smear campaign that Microsoft's goons gave him.

http://www.cypherpunks.to/~peter/zdnet.html

"This is a response to a series of articles by George Ou and Ed Bott of ZDNet
stretching over a period of more than a month. I'll try to stay away from the
assorted personal attacks in George and Ed's articles and just outline the
details.

It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing
my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that
what I'd said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by
then he'd gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever
actually having seen the slides that he's commenting on. Later he changed his
story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn't attacking the slides at all,
which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn't present anywhere but
the slides.

Dealing with him was quite weird in a number of other ways as well. For example
whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with his
position, I'd immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I
never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time.
It's as if I had my own personal "news about George Ou" news-clipping service
provided for me by ZDNet."

[...]

"(the "bunch of freaking morons" includes Bruce Schneier and Charlie Demerjian
of the Inquirer, whom he refers to in a preceding email)."

Read it. Watch Microsoft shills on the hunt.

- --
"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO