[News] The Hindu Runs Pro-Free Software Articles

How would it be if you read only one type of book?

,----[ Quote ]
| A computer literacy programme in a public sector organisation teaches the
| following modules: MS Office, MS Power Point, MS Excelsheet and Internet
| Explorer. A glance through the “computer syllabus” in most schools, and the
| list is similar. All items on this checklist have one thing in common:
| proprietary software. So, if every computer user is being taught exclusively
| on proprietary platforms, would they ever be comfortable switching to the
| easier, cheaper and readily available alternatives?
|
| Advocates of Free Software — software which can be used, studied and
| distributed without restriction — say that this is a ploy by proprietors to
| turn learners into potential customers. They allege that educational systems
| and the State are in cahoots with these large corporations which insist that
| children and learning adults be taught to only follow their system.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/24/stories/2008092461820300.htm

Why is it important to go the ‘free’ way?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most misleading aspects of the “debate” on free software — or Open
| Source software — pertains to what is meant by “free.” Those ridiculing the
| free software activists — typically dismissed as “the techie types” — portray
| them as a bunch of folks who just want software to be sold for free.
|
| However, those who passionately advocate free software argue that their
| emphasis is on free, as in freedom. “Let software be free from the shackles
| of full-fledged commercial exploitation” seems to be their refrain. It is
| important to steer clear of the pejorative connotations implied by those who
| adopt an adversarial stand on free software.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/24/stories/2008092461920300.htm

Recent:

'Indians can't afford dollar-denominated software'

,----[ Quote ]
| He added IT will no longer be the prerogative of the English speaking elite.
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux, for instance, is available in 11 local languages.
| Here in India, “we concentrate on four key verticals— the government,
| Banking, Financial Services and Insurance companies, telecom and education,”
| Whitehurst added.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=335345

C-DAC Launches BOSS Linux Version 3.0, Signs MoU with NIC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Center for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) has launched its
| Bharat Operating Systems Solutions (BOSS) Linux software version 3.0
| developed by the National Resource Center for Free/Open Source Software
| (NRCFOSS). BOSS is a GNU/Linux distribution for enhancing the use of Free and
| Open Source Software (FOSS) in the country.
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/news/C-DAC-Launches-BOSS-Linux-Version-3.0,-Signs-MoU-with-NIC/13087/4/1

Say Ubuntu!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai, India.
|
| The city administration awarded the school toppers with free laptops. Thanks
| to the organizers for the Ubuntu screens (otherwise we wouldn't have known).
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=17

Related:

Indian Courts started supporting Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Towards Speedy, Inexpensive, Transparent and Accountable Justice
|
| Recently the Judicial Departments has taken steps towards the opensource
| softwares and they have started the operations for that they initially
| distributed around
|
| 10000 nos of laptops of hp along with the Redhat enterprise linux 5 along
| with the internet connection to their officers.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/indian-courts-started-supporting-linux-657167/#post3221474
http://tinyurl.com/5wfyg5

C-DAC Releases Five New Products at Elitex 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=14841