[News] Portage and Gentoo: New Release Cycle

Just switched to the Paludis package manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Paludis Gentoo Package Manager
|
| I just converted from Portage to Paludis about 30 minutes ago on my Gentoo
| system.  Paludis is an alternative package manager for the very buggy Portage
| maintained by Gentoo.  This new package manager is supposed to make it easier
| to add new packages.
|
| In past, Gentoo had a reputation for being bleeding edge.  You could install
| the latest packages straight from Portage even with unmasking them.  The
| developers in the past were great in adding ’stable’ new packages for Gentoo
| users.  Now, with a large number of Gentoo developers leaving, or some would
| say, defecting, Portage cannot be maintained as it used to be in the past.
| This, in turn, has created many problems sometimes resulting in broken
| systems.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2008/09/22/just-switched-to-the-paludis-package-manager/

Gentoo has decided to make a release every year.

New release strategy to provide more current install media

,----[ Quote ]
| In future releases, Gentoo will focus on a more back-to-basics approach that
| will give you up-to-date install media on a regular basis and make much
| better use of our human resources. We're looking into automated weekly builds
| of the minimal CDs and stage tarballs as well as maybe an annual LiveCD
| release. We will keep you updated as we decide on the details of this new
| approach.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080922-releng-announcement.xml

Recent:

Gentoo Linux 2008.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| LiveDVDs are not available for x86 or amd64, although they may become
| available in the future. The 2008.0 release also includes updated versions of
| many packages already available in your ebuild tree.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080706-release-2008.0.xml

New council elected

,----[ Quote ]
| Elections just ended for the Gentoo council for the next year. Turnout was
| 57% with 145 developers voting, which is quite excellent.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080705-council-elected.xml

Gentoo (or Finding Linux Nirvana)

,----[ Quote ]
| Believe me, the end result when you get something right is worth it!
`----

http://pc-eye.blogspot.com/2008/07/gentoo-or-finding-linux-nirvana.html

Does Gentoo make sense?

| Contrast it with installing binary packages. You can never be sure that you
| are not missing a library or if they have a conflicting version.
| Conceptually, Gentoo vs. Ubuntu is analogous to compiled and statically typed
| languages, e.g. C++ or Java, versus interpreted and dynamically typed
| languages, e.g. Python or Ruby.
|
| Interpreted and dynamically typed languages enjoy a shorter development cycle
| but are somewhat more brittle whereas compiled and statically typed languages
| have a slower development cycle but are often deemed more reliable.
`----

http://ceki.blogspot.com/2008/06/does-gentoo-make-sense.html

Why I Use Gentoo?

,----[ Quote ]