Re: [News] Microsoft's "Destroy Borland" Story Returns

Matt wrote:
Hadron wrote:
Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Two Views of Enterprise Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever his success with words, he was less fortunate in
business. Microsoft | essentially won the battle for the hearts and
minds of the developer | community, and Borland became something of
a lost soul, wandering the fringes | of computing, trying to find
something to do in the shadow of Big Bill and an | even bigger
Microsoft.    | | One of the people at Microsoft tasked with
destroying Borland was Todd | Nielsen, who was general manager for
Microsoft's developer relations and | platform marketing.  `----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1293

I don't know if I can be very broken up about the demise of Borland.
I think they really played the same game as MS in regard to
programming languages.  There was a similar attack on standards
through non-standard language features and extensions, the desired
effect being to lock developers in to their compilers.  The guy who

What standards?

ANSI/ISO, etc. of course.

And you think anything has changed?

Visual C++ has become pretty much standards-compliant. Nowadays it is easy to build a C++ program to run on Linux, Windows, and Mac with very little need for conditional compilation. I believe that that came true only about five years ago, about the time MS started giving away their compiler.

I don't doubt that MS and others still try to attack and subvert standards, but they are having a lot less success with that strategy nowadays.

Today there are many workable approaches to cross-platform development, despite the efforts of some. Compare that to the situation in 1995.

You must be able to recognize the change I describe, although it is far from having had much outgrowth in availability of cross-platform apps.

The great majority
of code out there is not "standard".

Largely because yesterday's compilers were not standardized.