[News] Microsoft's CEO Breaks Promise About Retirement (Could Leave Sooner)

Ballmer sets a new (and potentially much later) retirement date

,----[ Quote ]
| According to scuttlebutt from Microsoft’s annual employee meeting, which was
| held in Seattle on September 18, Ballmer told attendees that he is going to
| stay on at Microsoft until Microsoft’s search share exceeds Google’s.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1599

"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

Related:

McCain comes out against Net Neutrality; Says would hire Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| In another move that was sure to infuriate many geeks, the 70 year
| old presidential hopeful also said that he would ask Microsoft CEO
| Steve Ballmer to serve on his cabinet to deal with technology issues
| if elected. He did not however say what position Ballmer might be
| hired in, but did joke that he might consider him for a diplomatic
| position, such as ambassador to China.
`----

http://www.thedailybackground.com/2007/05/30/mccain-comes-out-against-net-neutrality-says-would-hire-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer/

Recent:

Steve Ballmer's Nine Year Retirement Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates is retiring from Microsoft this year and the exec he left in
| charge, Steve Ballmer, is ready to leave in nine years.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/cebit/content/cebit/steve_ballmers_nine_year_retirement_plan.html

MicroHoo: corporate penis envy?

,----[ Quote ]
| My advice to Microsoft: outsource your search to Google too!
|
| [...]
|
| Fighting over search is a bit like the Free Software Foundation
| re-implementing cat, ls, sort, and all the other Unix utilities that were
| already available in the Berkeley distributions of Unix. The real problem was
| solved by someone outside the FSF, when Linux Torvalds wrote a kernel, a
| missing piece that became the gravitational center of Linux, the center
| around which all of the other projects could coalesce, which made them more
| valuable not by competing with them but by completing them.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/05/microhoo-corporate-penis-envy.html

Steve Ballmer Gets the Egg-Treatment in Budapest

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mtBQ4UCXQeo

Does Ballmer Need To Go?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s dramatic decision this weekend to withdraw its offer for Yahoo
| and not pursue a hostile bid raises a whole host of questions. What happens
| to Yahoo now? What happens to Microsoft? Or is this just a tactic to drive
| down the price of Yahoo’s shares so that Microsoft can go hostile with a
| lower offer? And if the deal really is dead, does Steve Ballmer need to start
| looking for a new job?
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/04/does-ballmer-need-to-go/

Hey! Ho! Time for Ballmer to Go?

,----[ Quote ]
| The investment community likes Steve Ballmer. He's competent, aggressive and
| occasionally crazy. He's been at Microsoft's helm for eight years, during
| which time the technology landscape has drastically changed several times
| over. And although Microsoft hasn't always kept up, it has remained
| ridiculously profitable.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/04/betting-on-ball.html

Make the wrong choice on Yahoo, and Ballmer could lose his job

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's board yesterday gave CEO Steve Ballmer "broad discretion" to
| decide on his own whether Microsoft should raise its offer for Yahoo,
| initiate a proxy fight for the company or walk away, the Wall Street Journal
| reports. That means if Ballmer makes the wrong call, it could cost him his
| job.
`----

http://valleywag.com/386130/make-the-wrong-choice-on-yahoo-and-ballmer-could-lose-his-job

Microsoft Should Fire Steve Ballmer, or Hire SuperNanny. Or Both.

,----[ Quote ]
| What should happen is this: Ballmer should re-canvass Yahoo's largest
| shareholders and ask what firm price in cash would get them on-board, and
| then offer it. No more futzing through middlemen bankers, just ask and
| deliver. I doubt this will happen -- Ballmer is caught up among internal
| politics, his own increasing impotence, and childish Yahoo intransigence --
| so he is stuck and looking more and like someone who keeps threatening to
| ground his kids, but never does. As we have all learned from watching
| SuperNanny, the trouble is rarely with the kids; it's almost always the
| nitwit parents.
|
| Such is the case here, so my recipe for action? Fire Ballmer. Think how
| quickly things would change at Microsoft, and in this deal. And then hire
| SuperNanny and film some Microsoft meetings. I'd watch.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/74460-microsoft-should-fire-steve-ballmer-or-hire-supernanny-or-both

Does Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer need an intervention?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer may need an intervention before this obsession
| with Yahoo–which is really about an obsession over Google–spins out of
| control.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8597

Is Microsoft's Ballmer a bad dealmaker?

,----[ Quote ]
| The bid for Yahoo that helped sink the market value of Microsoft (MSFT) by
| more than $20 billion in one day in early February is one of the latest in a
| string of acquisitions and major investment stakes Microsoft has initiated
| since CEO Steve Ballmer took over in 2000 that have been punished by the
| stock market as misjudgments.
|
| "Some learn more quickly than others. It doesn't look like Mr. Ballmer is
| learning that quickly," says UCLA Anderson School of Management professor
| Richard Roll, lead author of a study that analyzed 11 years of merger and
| acquisition announcements by 2,589 CEOs at 1,740 U.S. companies.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2008-04-23-ballmer_N.htm

UCLA Professor: Microsoft CEO Ballmer a ‘hubris-infected serial acquirer’ with
dismal track record

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16916/

Bear Stearns's Advice To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Co-founder Bill Gates can't be thrilled with watching
| Ballmer drain the company's cash. He didn't get so rich by buying at the top
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| of the market.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/03/17/microsoft-bear-stearns-tech-ebiz-cx_ec_0316msft.html

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Will Deal-Making Chiefs Ever Learn? Maybe.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Ballmer was considered a “hubris-infected” chief under the study’s
| definition, because of Microsoft’s value-destroying deal to invest $100
| million in Vertical Net in 2000. He followed up with deals for Intertainer
| and BroadBand Office, which were also followed by below-market returns for
| shareholders.
|
| In all, Mr. Ballmer made 15 deals between 2000 and 2002, with an average
| market-adjusted shareholder return of negative 4.59 percent.
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/will-deal-making-chiefs-ever-learn-maybe/index.html

Mergers of Corporate Giants Not Likely to Benefit Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| “There is little if any evidence that increased corporate size in
| already-large national and international firms produces greater technological
| innovation,” writes Elizabeth Sanders, Professor of Government at Cornell
| University. “To the contrary, it probably leads to less, given lower
| competitive pressures, and the starving of research in debt-burdened
| companies.”
`----

http://mslawnews.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/corporate_mergers/

Can Ballmer pilot Microsoft through a changed tech course?

,----[ Quote ]
| Can Ballmer steer Microsoft out of the roadblocks?
|
| The highly competitive Ballmer, you might say, is the man who cried "nice."
| And like the boy who cried wolf, no one believed him. The software giant's
| attempt to make nice with much of the developer community by opening up its
| APIs for key products was greeted with a jaundiced eye by regulators at the
| powerful European Commission.
|
| However sincere Microsoft's stated change of heart may be, it is becoming
| clearer and clearer that Microsoft -- which knows it has to change -- is
| still struggling to find a fresher path.
|
| What's a poor CEO to do?
|
| Now that Bill Gates has effectively left the building, Ballmer is free to
| transform Microsoft, a job made all the tougher by the enormous reservoir of
| mistrust the company has engendered over the years.
|
| Case in point: the open APIs. Microsoft will give its competitors free access
| to the application programming interfaces and protocols it uses to ensure
| interoperability between its own products, a very significant change in
| business practices.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2008/02/microsoft_open.html

EU May Fine Microsoft Over Antitrust Case, People Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The fine may be announced as soon as Feb. 27, said the people, who declined
| to be identified because the decision isn't public. Microsoft said in a Jan.
| 24 U.S. regulatory filing that the penalty may be as much as 1.5 billion
| euros ($2.2 billion).
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=MSFT:US&sid=aG8SwG8llTmM

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Related:

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead