[News] Europe's Resentment of Software Patents, EPO Strikes in the Media

Kiel Conference with talk about software "patent dirt"

,----[ Quote ]
| It matters which sort of legal protection you take. Felix van Kourten argues
| why patent law suits software so badly and why we are better off with
| copyright law. Oct 10 he will speak at the Kiel Linux and Open Source Days.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-90718/kiel-conference-with-talk-about-software-patent-dirt

European Patent Office staff on strike

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent examiners and other staff of the European Patent Office (EPO)
| demonstrated outside the European Commission offices Thursday, demanding a
| thorough re-examination of the EPO.
|
| [...]
|
| The staff union, SUEPO, say that lowering the quality of patents will have a
| disastrous effect on innovation which will affect every consumer. Their 'Save
| The EPO' campaign is not aimed at increasing wages but in reinforcing patent
| quality.
`----

http://www.expatica.com/be/articles/news/European-Patent-Office-staff-on-strike.html

Recent:

EPO examiners take the streets in Brussels asking to "Save the EPO"

,----[ Quote ]
| On Thursday, 18 September 2008, staff members of the European Patent Office
| (EPO) demonstrated in Brussels for a reform of its supervisory board.
| Examiners are complaining about the broken governance of the Institution.
| Examiners do not trust neither members of the Administrative Council, neither
| their President Brimelow. A patent examiner confessed that most of them were
| against software patents but as civil servants they were not allowed to speak
| out publicly about their concerns.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-90354/epo-examiners-take-the-streets-in-brussels-asking-to-save-the-epo

Strikes and Demonstrations of EPO Staff

,----[ Quote ]
| The EPO staff are trying to make their voice heard by a series of actions
| against the undermining of the European Patent Organisation by its governing
| body and management (see below). In particular, on September 18th, a strike
| of EPO staff was observed by the vast majority at all four sites of
| employment, over 250 of whom travelled to Brussels to take part in a
| demonstration. The demonstration route went from Square Frère Orban to the
| Berlaymont, the seat of the European Commission. On the way, a petition was
| delivered at the German and British embassies (and subsequently also to the
| French embassy). At the Berlaymont, the seat of European Commission, speeches
| were held by the SUEPO chairmen as well as by Sylvie Jacobs, Vice-President
| of USF. On September 19th, a SUEPO delegation has further been invited to
| discuss their concerns with the European Commission.
`----

http://www.suepo.org/public/

European Patent Office staff to demonstrate for reforms

,----[ Quote ]
| The international Staff Union of the European Patent Office (SUEPO) has
| called on the staff of the office to strike on Thursday 18th of September,
| and to demonstrate in Brussels for a reform of its supervisory board. The
| strike and demonstration are timed to coincide with meeting in the Belgian
| capital of the executive of the patent office, under its president Alison
| Brimelow, to seek approaches to a "strategic renovation". The employee
| representatives expect around 300 staff members from the patent offices in
| Munich, Berlin, The Hague and Vienna to attend the protest rally.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/115940

EPO examiners do not trust Brimelow for her quality reforms

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an EPO internal staff survey of June 2008, only 9% of the EPO
| examiners believes that "Brimelow and the Vice-Presidents actively promote
| patent quality". Brimelow is progressing, since Alain Pompidou, the former
| President, had a trust of only 7%.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-89228/epo-examiners-do-not-trust-brimelow-for-her-quality-reforms

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129