[News] [Rival] Fine Example Why GPL Licensing is a Winner

India Inc Voice Concern Over Sun s Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| My Twitter network points out as I write this that MySQL is open source and
| under the GPL, so it can't really be killed; it's already been spun off in a
| slimmer form into the open source community, as Drizzle.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/India_Inc_Voice_Concern_Over_Sun_s_Open_Source/551-101509-912.html

GPL: why Eric Raymond is wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the midst of such a situation, a man who advances an argument that the
| markets can seek efficiency and attain it is talking rubbish. The markets are
| controlled by human beings. And it is these flawed human beings who decide
| the direction things take by means of the crooked or straight tactics they
| use.
|
| Thus, the most efficient system does not win. The system that is willing to
| bend the rules to its advantage, use its contacts to avoid prosecution and
| its money to lessen resistance and shape public opinion wins. Let me say just
| one word here: Microsoft.
|
| If the markets were efficient, then companies like Citibank would have
| failed. The same goes for AIG, General Motors, Chrysler, and Ford - all
| companies where the management failed.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24739/1231/

Recent:

OSBC: Life at the edge of the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| A problem shimming scenario is using it to attempt to undo a previous
| decision to combine software. It could be "admitting that what you did was
| problematic." If possible, try to buy a exception from the copyright holder
| instead, Norman said. Shimming is possible and might even be necessary, as in
| the case of third-party code that can't be relicensed. But the lesson is that
| companies will save time, use fewer developers, make a simpler product, and
| avoid legal bills just sticking with the copyleft.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/325899/

Sorry, not right. An answer to Raymond’s post on the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, of all the aspects of OSS that are interesting (and there are
| many), I find the GPL family of licenses as the brightest examples of law
| engineering, and I believe that a substantial reason for the successes of OSS
| are dependent on it. Of course, there are other economical aspects that are
| relevant, and I agree with the fact that OSS is in general more efficient (as
| I wrote here, here and here). I disagree with both the premise and the
| conclusions, however, as I believe that the set of barriers created by the
| GPL are vital to create a sustainable market here and now, and not in an
| hypotetical future.
`----

http://carlodaffara.conecta.it/?p=206

Related: