[News] ODF Wins, Microsoft Still Trying to Harm It with Semi-hearted 'Embrace'

OFFICE 2007 SP2 - ODF Support

,----[ Quote ]
| On a related note, Ive noticed with the podcasts I listen to that OGG is
| becoming the download of choice when offered with MP3.  Another good sign
| that its now users who are demanding open standard file formats?  We have
| already seen a similar “battle” between XVID and DIVX.
| Regardless of what packages you use, its seems to me its getting harder for
| companies to force you down the route of their own proprietary formats.

"Ministry of Interior, Slovakia not accepting documents in ODF format and
violating standards required by the law. Should we call the police?"

Introducing Planet ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| I have an early Document Freedom Day present for you. Planet ODF is a feed
| aggregator based on Sam Ruby's Planet Venus, which itself is a refactoring of
| Planet 2.0.

ODF Alliance Award Winners Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format (ODF) Alliance today recognized Vitorio Furusho from
| Parana, Brazil and Anvar Sadath from Kerala, India for their contributions to
| ODF community development and education.

Fort Worth legislator pushes for open format in state documents

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, a host of free programs using an open-source format called
| OpenDocument have emerged that allow users to create and edit office
| documents. Popular ones include OpenOffice.org and Google Docs, both of which
| can open files in most Microsoft Office formats.

Open Source, Open Standards and Re-Use: UK Government Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government has made it clear that Open Source and Open Standards, with
| a focus on re-use of software development and deployment, is to clearly and
| unequivocably be part of the decision-making for UK Government I.T.
| procurement and contracting. Also part of the policy is a clear committment
| to engage with the Free Software community and to actively encourage the
| development of "Government-Class" Free Software products.

The 21st ODF Toolkit Scenario

,----[ Quote ]