[News] New VirtualBox Tosses Windows into a Window, Great Multi-Platform Games Listed

  • Subject: [News] New VirtualBox Tosses Windows into a Window, Great Multi-Platform Games Listed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:45:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Announcing VirtualBox 2.2.2 for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The popular, open-source, virtualization software VirtualBox reached
| yesterday, April 27th, version 2.2.2. Being a maintenance release, there
| weren't any new major features added to it. The following list includes
| bugfixes and added items that apply to the Linux client;
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Announcing-VirtualBox-2-2-2-for-Linux-110353.shtml

The List: Top 10 FREE Linux Games (Multi-Platform)

,----[ Quote ]
| It often gets me when a lot of people say there are no good Linux Games. That
| depends on what you consider “good” in the first place. Do you like shooters,
| Real-Time Strategy, or RPG? It all depends.
`----

http://www.linuxcauldron.com/?p=669

Recent:

My teenager top 8 Linux games

,----[ Quote ]
| His current favorite. Urban Terror is a free FPS, Counter Strike looking,
| with many different game mods. It has very good 3D rendering and graphics,
| making it very realistic. They kept the Quake3 3D engine, allowing jumping
| and running matrix-style. Many servers are available, and he plays on
| survivor or death match-type servers. The injuries are very well handled.
| Screenshot from thatlinuxbox.com.
`----

http://bapoumba.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/my-teenager-top-8-linux-games/

Top 10 Free Linux Games in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| I have seen a lot of gamers who feel that there aren't good games to play on
| Linux. It might be that they love to play those pirated games, don't know
| why, when there are bounteous open source games available for free. The Linux
| games are hugely popular and that's not just because they are free, its also
| because a developer can take a great game and make it even better. There's an
| array of free open source games waiting to run on the Linux platform. So I
| got the top linux games in 2009. And here I come.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/top-10-free-linux-games-in-2009/

Review: Battle for Wesnoth 1.6

,----[ Quote ]
| After more than a year of constant development, The Battle for Wesnoth 1.6
| was put out on March 22. This release comes with new graphics and unit
| portraits, a new campaign, called 'Legend of Wesmere', the possibility to log
| into the multiplayer with the forum account, and many, many other
| improvements.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-battle-for-wesnoth-16.html

Just For Fun: 13 Free Linux Games Worth Trying

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone needs a little down time every now and again. Whether you’re taking
| a break from hours of programming, trying to calm a conference-induced
| headache, or just relaxing at home, these Linux-based games offer a nice
| chance to unwind. The titles listed here are all available in the Ubuntu
| software repositories; just search for “games” in Synaptic if you want an
| idea of just how many choices are available.
`----

http://codepad.classhelper.org/just-for-fun-13-free-linux-games-worth-trying/388/

Are Linux apps and games worth paying for?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux operating system is free; you can download it without paying any
| licensing fees. You can use it in the home, you can run a business on it,
| even a data centre. You can embed it within tiny custom hardware. Despite
| this, Linux hasn't become a household name. Paradoxically, it may be the
| perceived dearth of commercial applications which is a cause.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24053/1143/

Related:

Top 21 Linux Games Of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Below are addictive 3d games for linux users to fill their time with. These
| games are really good and some have won awards or have been featured on
| magazines. Most of it is cross platform and free. You don?t have to
| use ?Wine? to be able to play as they come with Linux installers.
`----

http://linuxgames07.blogspot.com/2007/09/top-21-linux-games-of-2007.html

Ubuntu Linux Games - Top Picks

,----[ Quote ]
| If you?ve switched to Ubuntu (as I have) or any other Linux distribution, you
| may consider the following free (and in most cases open-source) games, as
| they?ve been favorites of mine for some time now.
`----

http://thepemberton.com/posts/archives/6

Unreal Tournament 3 For Linux Confirmed

,----[ Quote ]
| While everyone was expecting Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux based upon Epic
| Games providing native Linux clients for their past Unreal Tournament titles,
| this week it was officially confirmed by Epic's Mark Rein that there will be
| a Linux client for UT3.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NTk5MQ

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Wine has lately improved by amazing leaps, even DirectX support is nowadays
| pretty good, and performance with HL2DM is pretty amazing compared to a few
| months back. And now I have HL2DM running on resolution 1440×900 and medium
| details smoothl
`----

http://kahvipapu.com/blog/2007/08/11/half-life-2-deathmatch-on-linux/

Linux Got Game: War§ow 0.42

,----[ Quote ]
| War§ow, though still considered as a beta software is really well-crafted
| that I would highly recommend it to every FPS game fanatic or just about any
| gamer out there who wants to try something new. My only complain about Warsow
| is the lack of game server hosts, and based on my experience, it is sometimes
| difficult to connect to a particular server. I hope more people will be
| hosting Warsow because it really is a great FPS game. It is like a gem that
| I'm glad I've found. Also, I hope that a single player (offline) option will
| be available soon just in case my internet connection gets disconnected, or
| when I want to improve my skills by shooting against bots in easy mode
| (hehe).
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/05/linux-got-game-warow-042.html

Counter-Strike on Linux