[News] Review of Two Free games for GNU/Linux: Eschalon, Globulation 2

Game review - Eschalon: Book I

,----[ Quote ]
| Eschalon is a turn-based RPG that has been developed by a small game company
| called Basilisk Games. A few months ago it was announced that Eschalon has
| been made available for Linux so I decided to give it a try. Keep in mind
| before moving on that I do not look upon myself as much of a gamer. I'm that
| type of Linux geek that likes to solve real-life puzzles such "what
| development libraries am I missing to be able to compile this source code?"
| So no, I'm not into gaming and spending hours of my life trying to defeat
| virtual monsters. But something about Eschalon made me put aside all these
| facts and next thing you know I was slaughtering Tauraxes in the Western side
| of Blackwater.
`----

http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/game_review__eschalon:_book_i.html

Globulation 2 Game Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember that simple circle-and-a-stick game our fathers used to play when
| they were kids? You took a metal wheel frame from a bicycle and roll it down
| the road, trying to keep it steady by using a stick. Try and compare that
| game to - let's say - Glest or Starcraft. Now hold that image in your head
| for a second and imagine trying to stabilize that iron circle with nothing
| but a scarf. You'd have to pull on both ends of the scarf and try to somehow
| keep the balance of the rolling circle. A stick would be much more handy, but
| where's the fun in that?
`----

http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/globulation_2_game_review.html

Recent:

XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

,----[ Quote ]
| The lead developer of XreaL is Robert Beckebans, who has been working to
| deliver stunning graphics capabilities to the id Tech 3 engine. As far he
| knows, XreaL is actually the only Quake-based engine with a pure GLSL (GL
| Shading Language) renderer. With his GLSL renderer for XreaL, he wrote it
| entirely against the OpenGL 2.0 ES specification, so that it is very
| minimalist in order to avoid driver problems. With OpenGL 3.x now available,
| he has been heavily targeting OpenGL 3.1 support. That is right, there are no
| commercial games on Linux yet with OpenGL 3.0/3.1 support, but XreaL has an
| open-source answer. XreaL also has a true 64-bit HDR rendering pipeline.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xreal_engine&num=1

PlayOnLinux 3.4 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| PlayOnLinux version 3.4 has been released and it has some long awaited new
| features and as always bug fixes and tweaks. Also a new version of the
| PlayOnLinux website will be coming soon, so keep a eye on the site for these
| future updates.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/playonlinux/playonlinux-34-released.html

First-Person Shooter Games for Linux III: Urban Terror

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/03/first-person-shooter-games-for-linux.html