[News] Selling Books You Own is Now Called "Piracy" by the Cartels

Copyright lobby targets "Pirate Bay for textbooks"

,----[ Quote ]
| Finnish book rental service Bookabooka is being threatened by national
| copyright lobby organization TTVK for running a service the lobby group
| calls "Pirate Bay for textbooks".
`----

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/17696.cfm

Judge Rejects Internet Archive Motion to Intervene in Google Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge overseeing the approval process for the Google Book Search
| settlement has rejected an attempt by the Internet Archive (IA) to intervene
| in the action. In a short ruling released today, Judge Dennis Chin wrote that
| he construed the IA’s letter to the court, filed last week, as “a motion to
| intervene,” and denied it. “The proposed interveners are, however, free to
| file objections to the proposed settlement.” Objections and comments must be
| filed by May 5.
`----

http://www.publishersweekly.com/index.asp?layout=talkbackCommentsFull&talk_back_header_id=6597400&articleid=CA6654190
http://tinyurl.com/coa6gn

The More Things Change... The More They Stay The Same, Music Piracy Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Via Boing Boing comes this link to a NY Times article from 1897 (yes, you
| read that right, not 1987) about the struggle of the music industry
| against "pirates" (you can see the original via the NY Times site here).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090426/1837134647.shtml

Recent:

Caving into bullies (aka, here we go again)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/2009/02/caving_into_bullies_aka_here_w.html