[News] IBM CFO Notes Big Linux Growth

IBM CFO: We Had 62 Unix Competitive Displacements In Q1

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, IBM reported declines in many parts of its hardware
| business. But in spite of the broad hardware downturn, CFO Mark Loughridge
| said IBM convinced 62 CIOs to rip and replace Unix systems in the quarter,
| and that Linux MIPS were up more than 50%.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/04/ibm_cfo_we_had.html

Recent:

Linux Foundation CEO: Linux is "fastest growing platform"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/04/linux-foundation-ceo-linux-is-fastest-growing-platform.ars

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

The top 10 greatest geeks of all time

,----[ Quote ]
| 1: Linus Torvalds
|
| Shaun Nichols: It's one thing to write a complete computer program. It takes
| an entirely different level of geekdom to write a computer operating system.
| Compound that with the fact that said operating system is a re-write of the
| most successful network operating environment of all time, and then - as the
| icing on the cake - giving the code away to the rest of the world for free
| and you'll start to understand why Linus Torvalds earned the number one spot.
|
| One story jokingly tossed around is that Torvalds wrote all of the code for
| the Linux kernel on the back of a shovel over the course of one cold Finish
| winter. The reality is only slightly less amazing: the 21 year-old student
| wrote the first versions of his Unix clone in his spare time as a way to
| connect with servers at the University of Helsinki in 1991.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/88617,the-top-10-greatest-geeks-of-all-time.aspx

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft