[News] Possible Corruption in Pirate Bay Trial; FOSS Connected to Copyrights

Judge in Pirate Bay Case Member of Pro-Copyright Groups

,----[ Quote ]
| Sveriges Radio's P3 news programme has found out that judge Thomas Norström
| is a member of the Swedish Copyright Association. And who are also members of
| this group? Henrik Pontén, Peter Danowsky and Monique Wadsted, who all three
| represented the entertainment industry in the case against the Pirate Bay.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/21359/Judge_in_Pirate_Bay_Case_Member_of_Pro-Copyright_Groups

Judge In Pirate Bay Case Appears To Have Ties To The Copyright Lobby

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently, he's a member of a few organizations that work towards
| strengthening copyright laws, and even holds a board position in one of those
| organizations.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090422/2213024614.shtml

Why copyright damage limits don't hurt FLOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a move afoot to argue that copyright infringement penalties should
| bear a rational relationship to the value of what was infringed. You might
| think that this could harm Free/Libre/Open Source Software (FLOSS), but I
| don't think so. Here's why.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2009/04/22/#damage-limits-dont-harm-floss

Recent:

Pirate Bay Judge Accused of Bias, Calls for a Retrial

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest cases in file-sharing history ended last week with The
| Pirate Bay Four sentenced to huge fines and jail time. Today it is revealed
| that far from being impartial, the judge in the case is a member of
| pro-copyright groups - along with Henrik Pontén, Monique Wadsted and Peter
| Danowsky. There are loud calls for a retrial.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-lawyer-is-biased-calls-for-a-retrial-090423/

Paul McCartney's Confused About The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| He says that as if there is anyone out there who claims that artists
| shouldn't get "rewarded" for doing something great. The problem is no one is
| saying that. We're just debating how they will (not should) get rewarded.
| And, of course, plenty of artists who embrace things like The Pirate Bay are
| getting rewarded for doing so. Claiming that they're not is simply false and
| suggests ignorance of the subject.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090421/1807264603.shtml

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) — 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding — termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

RIAA publicly humiliates judge Nancy Gertner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18787