[News] Ubuntu 9.04 Gives GNU/Linux a Clouds Edge

Building Private and Hybrid Clouds with Ubuntu 9.04

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Ubuntu server distribution includes two complementary cloud tools,
| OpenNebula and Eucalyptus, so providing the technology required to build the
| three types of Cloud architectures, namely private, hybrid and public clouds.
`----

http://oracle.sys-con.com/node/933674/print

Some interesting firsts for cloud OS

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing that seems clear in cloud computing right now — the combination of
| operating system, hypervisor, clustering, applications and other cloud
| infrastructure components in the mix is creating some interesting
| competition. We’ve written before about the fight over the OS role and its
| relevancy as hypervisor vendors race to cover the OS parts, OS vendors race
| to cover the hypervisor parts and so on. We’re now seeing a similar battle in
| cloud computing, where open source looms large, as other vendors step up to
| the opportunities.
|
| [...]
|
| In terms of the ‘first cloud OS,’ I think Ubuntu Linux vendor Canonical may
| beg to differ. The company’s Ubuntu Linux is already a popular choice for
| cloud deployment thanks to its free availability and lack of licensing
| royalties that can quickly cancel out cloud cost advantages. With its latest
| release this week, Ubuntu 9.04, Canonical is doing more to back this cloud
| deployment of Ubuntu.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/04/23/some-interesting-firsts-for-cloud-os/

"I feel we are much too smug in dealing with Novell. Perhaps they didn’t hurt
us in DOS yet — but it’s not because of product or their trying. It’s because
we already had the OEMs wrapped up."

                                        --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Recent:

A Cloudy Future

,----[ Quote ]
| But cloud computing is going to change the industry in as profound a way as
| client server did in the late nineteen eighties to nineteen nineties. The
| ability to easily provision and scale up software services based on the Free
| Software LAMP stack (Linux / Apache / MySQL /PHP or Perl or Python) or more
| modern fare such as the open source Java software framework Hadoop is going
| to massively change the way software is developed. Of course at my day job,
| it already has for many of the engineers.
|
| Even old fogies like me are going to have to learn some new tricks in this
| world. Free Software is going to have to adopt as well. I still have lots of
| Samba code to write first (no, Samba isn't a finished product yet), but if I
| ever work on cloud computing code, I'd like to see it under the AGPL, in
| order to preserve the freedoms I've been able to enjoy in conventional
| software development these many years. Without the AGPL, our freedoms will
| depend on the kindness of strangers donating their modifications to our code
| back to us, as they did in the days before the GPL license and the FSF was
| born.
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/293

Eucalyptus: the unsung hero of Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1927&blogid=17