[News] [Rival] More of Microsoft's Security Mess and Other News

Updated research of the largest base of real-world vulnerability data

,----[ Quote ]
| 4. Exploitation - Eighty percent of vulnerability exploits are now available
| within single digit days after the vulnerability’s public release. In 2008,
| Qualys Labs logged 56 vulnerabilities with zero-day exploits, including the
| RPC vulnerability that produced Conficker. In 2009, the first vulnerability
| released by Microsoft, MS09-001 had an exploit available within seven days.
| Microsoft’s April Patch Tuesday included known exploits for over 47 percent
| of the published vulnerabilities. This law had the most drastic change from
| the Laws 1.0 in 2004, which provided a comfortable 60 days as guidance.
`----

http://net-security.org/secworld.php?id=7377

After Five Years, Apparently The Mobile Virus Flood Is Really Coming This Time

,----[ Quote ]
| For about five years, there's been an effort to whip up hype around the
| supposed threat of mobile viruses and malware. Pretty much all of that hype's
| come from anti-virus vendors, so it's been pretty suspect, particularly as
| this threat they've been hyping for so long has failed to materialize.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090423/1233374623.shtml

Well, Microsoft Windows hardly runs on phones.

International hackers, many from China, are attacking NYPD computers

,----[ Quote ]
| A network of mystery hackers, most based in China, have been making 70,000
| attempts a day to break into the NYPD's computer system, the city's top cop
| revealed Wednesday.
`----

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/04/22/2009-04-22_international_hackers_lauching_attack_against_nypd_computers.html

K.gov cautious on EU cyberwar effort

,----[ Quote ]
| Security chiefs are considering joining an EU wargame to help guard critical
| internet infrastructure against attacks from enemy states or criminals, but
| Whitehall officials are concerned other members of the bloc are not ready.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/24/eu_wargames_whitehall/

The Great Brazilian Sat-Hack Crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| "This had been happening for more than five years," says Celso Campos, of the
| Brazilian Federal Police. "Since the communication channel was open, not
| encrypted, lots of people used it to talk to each other."
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2009/04/fleetcom

Conficker

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times called it an "unthinkable disaster", the television news
| show 60 Minutes said it could "disrupt the entire internet" and we at the
| Guardian warned that it might be a "deadly threat". Naysayers were few, and
| drowned out.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/04/conficker.html

Recent:

Spam overwhelms e-mail messages

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 97% of all e-mails sent over the net are unwanted, according to a
| Microsoft security report.

Malware, Spam, and other Net Pests Rev Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of malware detections has grown by almost half a million since the
| end of the year, jumping from 500,000 total detections to 900,000.
|
| "I have a nasty feeling that the situation is getting worse, not better",
| says Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer for the security vendor.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147701/malware_spam_and_other_net_pests_rev_up.html

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]