[News] Gnome Desktop Environment version 3.0 Presents User Survey

Gnome 3.0 - General Sociological Research

,----[ Quote ]
| This research aims at finding the needs, and practices of users of Gnome 2.x.
| Analyzing that data will give the Gnome Usability Team very precious
| information that will shape up the form of Gnome 3.0.
`----

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cFE1dHJkUkhFakVndEVOVUFvVkl6RHc6MA

Recent:

Gnome sets sights on 2010 for 3.0 release

,----[ Quote ]
| With Gnome 2.26 safely out the door the Gnome development team is now
| planning for Gnome 3.0, a release it expects to make in March next year.
| Responding to growing criticism that the Gnome project lacks vision the team
| says that the 3.0 milestone release will have to have “big user-visible
| changes”.
|
| “If you look closely at our community, it’d be wrong to say that people are
| lacking a vision; but the project as a whole does indeed have this issue,”
| the team said in its public posting. With this in mind the team is looking at
| a release that will both streamline the desktop as well as revamp the overall
| user experience by giving users new ways of interacting with their desktop
| and managing files.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4591

GNOME 3.0 To Get GNOME Shell, Zeitgeist

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, GNOME Shell supplements the user interface with subtle effects and
| animations, all written in JavaScript and Clutter (it uses a special MetaCity
| branch for now, but will fork the MetaCity code later on). Owen Taylor also
| wrote an email detailing the future of GNOME Shell and MetaCity.
`----

GNOME 3.0 To Get GNOME Shell, Zeitgeist

GNOME plans for run up to 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| A roadmap for the immediate future of GNOME desktop has been published on the
| GNOME Live site. The roadmap charts the planned progress of the Linux and
| Unix desktop from its recently released 2.26 version and the 2.26.1 update
| due in April, through a GNOME 2.28.0 release in September to a GNOME 2.30.0,
| which will be renumbered as 3.0.0 when released in March 2010.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/135741

Planning for GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| During the first few months of 2008, a few Release Team members discussed
| here and there about the state of GNOME. This was nothing official, and it
| could actually have been considered as some friends talking together about
| things they deeply care about. There were thoughts that GNOME could stay with
| the 2.x branch for a very long time given our solid development methods, but
| that it was not the future that our community wants to see happening. Because
| of lack of excitement. Because of lack of vision. Slowly, a plan started to
| emerge. It evolved, changed, was trimmed a bit, made more solid. We started
| discussing with a few more people, got more feedback. And then, at GUADEC,
| the Release Team proposed an initial plan to the community that would lead
| the project to GNOME 3.0. Quite some time passed; actually, too much time
| passed because too many people were busy with other things. But it's never
| too late to do the right thing, so let's really be serious about GNOME 3.0 \
| now!
`----

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan

5 Useful Desktop Managers for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I’m going to write about some of the most useful alternative desktop
| managers you should consider using on your operating system. To start off I
| have
|
| Xfce
|
| Xfce is a fast and a light desktop environment for unix like operating
| systems. It is specially desgined to improve your work productivity. It has
| the ability to load and execute applications really fast while conserving
| system resources.
|
| [...]
|
| LXDE
|
| Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment is an extremely faster, performing and
| energy saving desktop environment.
`----

http://techcityinc.com/2009/04/5-useful-desktop-managers-for-linux/

Gnome 3 mockup screenshots

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/12/gnome-3-mockup-screenshots.html

Related:

Plans for Gtk+/GNOME 3.0 surfaced

,----[ Quote ]
| At the GNOME conference GUADEC plans were presented how the transition to the
| new Gtk and GNOME is supposed to happen. The basic idea is to make the
| transition as smooth as possible by first cleaning up everything and
| introducing new concepts later on.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/plans-for-gtkgnome-30-surfaced/

GTK+ 3.0: Getting serious.