[News] More Free Software in the US Government

Open-source tool available for unclassified work

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Department’s open-source software development tool Forge.mil may
| now be used for unclassified work in DOD, the Defense Information Systems
| Agency announced today.
`----

http://fcw.com/articles/2009/04/21/disa-open-source.aspx

Recent:

CollabNet TeamForge Enables the DoD to Transform Information Technology
Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| DISA CUSTOMER PARTNER CONFERENCE 2009 -- CollabNet, the leader in distributed
| application lifecycle management (ALM) solutions, today announced that the
| Defense Information System Agency (DISA), the information systems group for
| the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), has promoted its Forge.mil initiative
| from limited operational availability (LOA) to Initial Operational Capability
| (IOC), making it generally available for unclassified use. Forge.mil enables
| collaborative software development and cross-program sharing of software,
| system components, and services in support of net-centric operations and
| warfare. Forge.mil is powered by CollabNet TeamForge, the leading application
| lifecycle management platform for distributed software development teams, and
| CollabNet Subversion, the best version control and software configuration
| management (SCM) solution for distributed teams.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Collabnet-976614.html

DISA and OSSI collaborate to expand strategic open source opportunities for
Government IT systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The DoD's Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) and the Open Source
| Software Institute (OSSI) announced today a Cooperative Research and
| Development Agreement (CRADA) between DISA and OSSI, a US-based non-profit
| membership organization.
|
| The CRADA involves release of an open source version of DISA's
| internally-developed Corporate Management Information System (CMIS) for the
| purpose of a collaborative partnership between Government, non-profit
| organizations, academia and industry to research and develop state-of-the-art
| capabilities and functionality for DISA software for use by DoD, the Federal
| Government, state and local governments and the public. The CMIS program is a
| web-based Federal administrative software suite consisting of more than 50
| applications which handles human resource, training, security, acquisition
| and related functions for DISA's more than 16,000 users worldwide.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/306088/disa_and_ossi_collaborate_to_expand_strategic_open_source_opportunities_for_government_it_systems.html

Carahsoft Awarded U.S. DoD Enterprise Software Initiative Contract for Open
Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Carahsoft Technology Corp., the trusted government IT solutions provider,
| today announced that it has been awarded a U.S. Department of Defense ESI
| Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) for Open Source Solutions. The contract
| encompasses software and support services from Red Hat, JBoss, Alfresco,
| Pentaho, MySQL, and CollabNet.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29735518/

Defense Department makes more open source moves

,----[ Quote ]
| At a technology transfer showcase hosted by Johns Hopkins a defense IS
| official noted all this will help DoD “leverage” improvements to CMIS made by
| other agencies, universities or individuals. But that’s the open source deal
| — you benefit from me and I benefit from you.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3734

US Defense Dept. goes public with some open source plans

,----[ Quote ]
| As a next step in open source, the DoD is teaming up with the Open Source
| Software Institute (OSSI) on a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement
| (CRADA) that will allow over 50 federal administration applications to be
| publicly distributed under an open source license.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/US-Defense-Dept-goes-public-with-some-open-source-plans/1237313872

DoD to Open Source Corporate Management Information System

,----[ Quote ]
| “Secondly, since CMIS is now released under an open source license,
| commercial, academic and non-profit entities can adopt and support the
| system, as long as they adhere to the license agreement. There are two
| license variants available from OSSI, the Open Software License v.3.0 and the
| Academic Free License v.3.0,” he said.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/17468/dod-open-source-corporate-management-information-system

DISA to open source administrative software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) plans to open source a suite of
| programs that it developed for administrative tasks. The agency has signed a
| Cooperative Research and Development Agreement with the Open Source Software
| Institute (OSSI) to help release the source code of the programs.
`----

http://gcn.com/articles/2009/03/17/disa-open-source.aspx

Open source makes serious headway in the U.S. Department of Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| As I listened to David Mihelcic, CTO with the U.S. Defense Information
| Systems Agency talk about the benefits of open source on Federal News Radio's
| presentation of "Open Source Solutions - 2 Years In Review," I couldn't help
| but be impressed with just how far open source has come in the past decade.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10126839-16.html

Related:

Malware knocks Defense Department e-mail offline

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Associated Press, the US Defense Department took
| 1,500 computers offline as the result of a cyber attack.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733189-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Navy CIO 'recognizes the importance of OSS to the warfighter'

,----[ Quote ]
| John Weathersby, executive director of the Open Source Software
| Institute, told Linux.com today that, effective immediately, the
| Department of the Navy has adopted a new policy which requires that
| open source software must be considered in every software
| acquisition the Navy makes.

State Department got mail and hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| A break-in targeting State Department computers worldwide last
| summer occurred after a department employee in Asia opened a
| mysterious e-mail that quietly allowed hackers inside the U.S.
| government's network.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_hi_te/hackers_state_department

The feds weigh in on Windows security