[News] France Leads on Red Hat's GNU/Linux League

Red Hat maps open source activity. France is #1

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat today published a new study together with Georgia Tech mapping open
| source activity across 75 countries. Officially called the Open Source Index
| (OSI), the final score is made of a number of factors including policies,
| practices in the Government, Industry, and Community. Topping the list
| current is France with a score of 1.35. Spain is second at 1.07, Germany
| third at 1.05.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/04/red-hat-maps-open-source-activ.html

Recent:

Linux s'il vous plaît: French Gendarmie say oui to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gendarmie Nationale – France’s national police force – has been slowly
| introducing open source software to its 105,000+ policemen since 2005. In
| 2008 the decision was made to use only Ubuntu for all new workstations. A
| year on shows this has been a great success with happy users, a better
| network and cost savings of over seven million euro per year.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23763/1143/

French Lawmakers Hope to Inspire Linux Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| If the French National Assembly gets its way, the open-source Linux operating
| system will take over the governments of Europe, seizing on a weak economy to
| displace Windows.
|
| About 18 months ago, the Assembly shifted from running Windows on the 1,100
| computers of its members and their assistants to running a version of Linux
| called Ubuntu. (I profiled the rise of Ubuntu in a recent article.) According
| to Rudy Salles, vice president of the assembly, the decision to abandon
| Microsoft’s Windows software was both an economic and political gesture.
|
| The French Parliament should save about 500,000 euros over the next five
| years, thanks to the low price of Ubuntu –- free –- and have lower management
| costs. Linux tends to have fewer security issues than Windows, for example.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/french-lawmakers-hope-to-inspire-linux-revolution/

French government using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| The French Ministry for Health, Youth and Sport launched a Drupal-based
| information portal for French youth: http://www.jeunes.gouv.fr. Building on
| the rapid adoption of Drupal by non-profit and advocacy groups, Drupal's use
| by governments just keeps increasing!
`----

http://buytaert.net/french-government-using-drupal

Parlez-vous le Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only do the French have a different word for everything, they also have a
| strong Open Source leadership position. The French have done much to foster
| the growth and acceptance of Open Source software--especially Linux. The
| Mandriva Linux distribution was born and raised in France (now in its 10th
| year), the French government offers tax incentives to encourage more Open
| Source development, and more 175,000 memory sticks with Open Source software
| were given to Parisian high school students last year.

France pins hopes of growth on open-source software

http://open.itworld.com/4915/061205franceopen/page_1.html

French National Assembly switches to Linux

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

Free Ubuntu laptops for French students

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/597

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82605/from/rss09

French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061214:MTFH94365_2006-12-14_14-49-22_L14537403&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

French Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Choose Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr/french_ministry_of_agriculture_and_fisheries_choose_mandriva