[News] Schools Tells Success Story About Migration to GNU/Linux

Case study: school IT Manager turns to Penguin Power

,----[ Quote ]
| Ian Ralph, an IT manager at a private school in Sydney, called Sceggs, became
| a fan of open source technologies and Linux twelve years ago when he built
| the school's first web server using Linux.
`----

http://www.technologyandbusiness.com.au/pcs-peripherals/Case-Studies/Case-study--school-IT-Manager-turns-to-Penguin-Pow.aspx

Linux Migration for the Home PC User, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Try Ubuntu first. There are multiple versions offered at any one time, but
| for those seeking stability, look for the "LTS" label. Never allow yourself
| to be tricked into using the most current just because it's the latest and
| greatest. Six months from now you'll have to update, and it will surely break
| things. If you don't consider your computer a hobby, stick with the LTS
| releases, because they are good for a couple of years. Next, join the Ubuntu
| forums; it's the best and cheapest support system you'll ever find for
| installation and initial setup. Be prepared to explain every time you aren't
| a hobbyist and LTS is essential to your purpose. Don't be drawn into
| discussions which revolve around why "you just gotta run the latest". Those
| who actually can help you the most will understand.
`----

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/541.html

Recent:

Skolelinux for Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| From now on, the schools in Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate federal state will
| be running Skolelinux on their computers, based on a decision made a year
| ago. The project is now announcing its next phase.
|
| The federal state schools will not only adopt Skolelinux as their operating
| system, but also use it to develop curriculum in 11 pilot schools. The
| 10-point plan, roughly translated as "Media Competence Is Our Schools,"
| involves an adapted Skolelinux version, according to Burkhard Schaefer,
| consultant for the federal state's ministry of education, science, youth and
| culture: "The decision went to Skolelinux because it offered through
| available pedagogical network solutions from the Debian community a
| sustainable development based on software concepts." Rhineland-Palatinate is
| the second federal state after Hamburg to select a Linux solution for its
| schools.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/skolelinux_for_germany_s_rhineland_palatinate_schools

Skolelinux 3.0:Debian Based Linux Distribution!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/skolelinux-30debian-based-linux-distribution/