[News] New GNU/Linux Release Targets ARM Machines

Jaunty Jackalope ARM'd and ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical will release Ubuntu 9.04 (nicknamed "Jaunty Jackalope") on April
| 23. The new release of the fast-growing open-source Linux distro boasts
| faster boot and resume operations, a new desktop notification service,
| smoother handoffs between WiFi and 3G service, and Ubuntu's first ARM port,
| says Canonical.

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Cheap, Pocketable MID Runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, SmartQ: how long have you been hiding this Mobile Internet Device from
| Engadget? The SmartQ 5 is all touch-screen with 4.3-inches of 800×480
| resolution to tap. Although I’m more enamored by higher resolutions than
| this, it’s not bad for a handheld device. It could be a chore for viewing web
| pages though, so I suspect ample usage of the zoom function would be used in
| the browser. Hey, at $132 for an ARM-based MID running Linux with a usable
| browser, I’d be willing to gamble if I could get one from China.

SmartQ 5 Ubuntu MID arriving soon

Freescale Plans Reference Design for Linux ARM Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| When will power-saving and affordable ARM netbooks become available?
| Freescale Semiconductor has ventured into an advanced standard, albeit with
| their homegrown i.MX515 chip.

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may returnt to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.

Netbook Sales Soar in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Adoption of non-Windows operating systems, Linux mainly, is stronger there
| than the United States.

Future of Linux desktop: co-Linux on Android

,----[ Quote ]