[News] Criminalisation of Links (e.g. to Linux ISOs) Raises Questions

The Real Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| Set up a torrent tracker, get fined, go to jail.
|
| Join a bank, destroy the economy, profit.
`----

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/2009/04/the_real_pirate_bay.html

Music industry sites DDoSed after Pirate Bay verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Hacktivists have launched denial of service attacks against music industry
| association ifpi.org and lawyers involved in the prosecution of the four
| Pirate Bay defendants in the wake of a guilty verdict against the quartet
| last Friday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/20/ddos_hacktivism_pirate_bay/

Why File Sharing Will Save Hollywood, Music

,----[ Quote ]
| To hear some tell it, file sharing gutted the music industry by encouraging
| people to gorge themselves on free, illegal content. Indeed, unless Friday's
| landmark verdict against The Pirate Bay is overturned, four Swedes will spend
| a year in jail and owe millions of dollars to entertainment companies for
| operating a file sharing network.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/04/why-file-sharin.html

Recent:

Why the Pirate Bay verdict is GOOD for piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, thanks to today's verdict - which I do hope would be overturned
| in higher courts -  we should expect piracy to emerge as a full-fledged
| political issue, at least in Europe. This is no longer a debate about
| entertainment. As of today, it's a debate about digital liberties. I think
| that the record industry does not fully grasp the level of political
| resistance it's going to face from the young people in Europe and elsewhere.
| They remain ignorant at their peril.
`----

http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/04/17/why_the_pirate_bay_verdict_is_good_for_piracy

Legally Speaking: The Dead Souls of the Google Booksearch Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| In the short run, the Google Book Search settlement will unquestionably bring
| about greater access to books collected by major research libraries over the
| years. But it is very worrisome that this agreement, which was negotiated in
| secret by Google and a few lawyers working for the Authors Guild and AAP (who
| will, by the way, get up to $45.5 million in fees for their work on the
| settlement—more than all of the authors combined!), will create two
| complementary monopolies with exclusive rights over a research corpus of this
| magnitude. Monopolies are prone to engage in many abuses.
|
| The Book Search agreement is not really a settlement of a dispute over
| whether scanning books to index them is fair use. It is a major restructuring
| of the book industry’s future without meaningful government oversight. The
| market for digitized orphan books could be competitive, but will not be if
| this settlement is approved as is.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/04/legally-speaking-the-dead-soul.html

Pirate Bay Loses A Lawsuit; Entertainment Industry Loses An Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| The folks behind The Pirate Bay insist that the site will live on and the
| verdict means nothing, but it may create an inconvenience for users of the
| site -- especially if other nations use this as yet another excuse to ban the
| site. The folks this will hurt the most are those content creators who
| actually do value The Pirate Bay -- such as best selling author Paulo Coehlo,
| who found that "pirating" his own book helped him tremendously, and who
| recently spoke out about what a useful tool The Pirate Bay has been. It's a
| shame that because some big lumbering companies are unable to change their
| business models that they get to use the legal system to disrupt and annoy
| those who have figured it out.

The Pirate Bay, Guilty Before Trial!

,----[ Quote ]
`----