Re: [News] [Rival] GNU/Linux Killed Microsoft's Windows Margins

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

See my comments mixed in below...

> Non-Microsoft OSes Helped by Economic Conditions?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ABI Research reports that a downturning economy may be advantageous for
> | inexpensive netbook computers. In 2008, 75% of netbooks ran Microsoft
> | Windows XP, but ABI Research predicts that in 2012, netbooks running
> | Linux-based and mobile operating systems will outnumber those running
> | Microsoft operating systems.
> `----
>
> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4976

As more and more people are exposed to the true nature of Linux... more and
more are dumping windows in favor of something that actually works as
advertized. For the first time in a windows users life, no more virus,
malware and trojans.  Imagine!!! No more reboot, reboot, reinstall and
loosing all your personal data in the process. People are just learning how
things SHOULD be... and Linux is doing it.

> The down economy could give alternative netbook OSes a hand up, says ABI
> Research
>
> http://digitimes.com/news/a20090414PR202.html
>
> Netbooks Are Destroying the Laptop Market and Microsoft Needs to Act Now
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Netbooks are a cheap narcotic. They bring Windows OEMs a brief sales
> | high, while laying their margins low. Microsoft and its Windows PC
> | partners must get back to basic business fundamentals before netbooks
> | destroy the lifeblood of the laptop market: margins.
> `----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Netbooks-Are-Destroying-the-Laptop-Market-and-Microsoft-Needs-to-Act-Now-863307/

If Microsoft really, really wanted to keep it's market share... all they
have to do is dump vista/7 and FINALLY FIX windows XP. Hell, call it
windows 8, but fix it. They'd really have something serious to market.

If they could just roll out a decent product, they would stay in control of
the universe. Fact is, microsoft products have ALWAYS been bug ridden and
will never amount to more than a package of half baked ideas supported by
third party software...

> Even from Microsoft itself (its sockpuppet):
>
> Netbook Price War Could Hurt Microsoft

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163095/netbook_price_war_could_hurt_microsoft.html

They see it and they cant stop it... What was that crash? Is that another
chair going into orbit from Blammers office???

> Recent:
>
> Microsoft, FUD and the netbook market
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Brandon Le Blanc from Microsoft posted an interesting post about
> | Netbooks and Linux last week. While we agreed with his comments about
> | customers wanting choice and looking for outstanding hardware options,
> | we disagree with much of his analysis and unsurprisingly the overall
> | ?spin? of the post.
> |
> | While FLOSS software has been improving year on year, the launch of the
> | Asus eeePC with Linux in late 2007 sparked a extraordinary chain of
> | events. We saw an increase in the number of models of computers shipping
> | with Linux, the acceleration of the PC industry?s knowledge of how to
> | work in a non-Windows environment and the repeated extension of XP?s
> | shipping life.
> `----
>
> http://blog.canonical.com/?p=151

Windows XP... like a bad nickle that keeps turning it up. How old is it now?
Isn't it funny how one of microsofts OWN products, one that came back from
the dead, is hurting Vista sales and Vista uptake?

> Ballmer: GNU/Linux Will Win on Netbooks
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I think this is a very frank analysis of the problem for Microsoft:
> | after all, who's going to pay extra money just to get the Windows logo
> | on a netbook, when they can get the same features for less with free
> | software...?
> `----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/ballmer-gnulinux-will-win-on-netbooks.html

There will be a few hold outs, but Linux is and will take over...

> Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the
> | latest Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As
> | this is better understood some Netbook users may return to Linux.
> | Asustek Chairman Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee
> | PCs to be shipped in 2009 will have Windows XP.
> `----

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=384681&rel_no=1&back_url=

With the pending release of Windows 7 and the resultant shock of just how
bad it really is... they'll all come back to Linux.

> math: Windows 7 + netbook = failure - GNU/Linux as remaining winner!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Windows XP is basically gone, so an OEM license is worth 20 USD for a
> | manufacturer, no problem at all. Windows 7 for Netbooks is the same as
> | all other Windows 7 variants - no lean, light, vlighted, 7lited or
> | whatever. Just a Starter version like in Windows Vista which gives you
> | the "power" to run maximum 3 applications at the same time. Where again
> | is the advantage? Oh yes, now Windows 7 Starter crippled edition costs a
> | bit more than 20 USD for OEM, I would say around 99 USD after discounts,
> | tax not included or did you think MS stops earning money?
> `----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012288o-2000637757b,00.htm

Microsoft desperately needs money... cold hard cash... and Windows 7 will be
the second biggest flop in microsofts history... right along side of vista.
Their only hope is... FIX XP...

> Otellini: Windows 7 Upgrade for Netbooks Will Be Tough'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has a challenge: Sell a Windows upgrade as a way to save
> | money.
> |
> | The company's fourth quarter Windows revenue declined 8 percent, as PC
> | buyers opted for lower-priced netbooks that run either Windows XP or
> | Linux, rather than the higher-priced Windows Vista operating system,
> | which does not run on netbook hardware.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/160967/windows7_netbooks.html?tk=rss_news

No surprise there Bubba...

> Reports: Microsoft Cripples Windows 7 Starter Edition in Hopes of Netbook
> Upgrades
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | With Windows 7 Microsoft is releasing cheap versions of its OS for
> | netbooks, but faces the challenge of getting customers to buy pricier
> | versions
> `----

http://www.dailytech.com/Reports+Microsoft+Cripples+Windows+7+Starter+Edition+in+Hopes+of+Netbook+Upgrades/article14532.htm

They still haven't learned yet...

> Microsoft?s Windows 7 May Not Cure Netbook Headache
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This time, as Microsoft readies Windows 7, the company is planning a
> | basic version, as well as more expensive editions that are also targeted
> | at netbooks. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said last week that he will
> | make sure consumers can ?trade up.?
> |
> | ?Pessimistic?
> |
> | Many netbook buyers won?t go for it, because they want the cheapest
> | option possible, said John DiFucci, the JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst who
> | asked the question that prompted Ballmer?s comment. That means investors
> | shouldn?t expect Microsoft to make much more money on netbook software,
> | the New York-based analyst said in a note to clients. Microsoft hasn?t
> | released specific prices for the different versions of Windows 7.
> |
> | ?I don?t know that there?s much room to charge more than what?s been
> | charged currently,? said Michael Cherry, an analyst at Directions on
> | Microsoft in Kirkland, Washington. ?I?m pessimistic about this.?
> `----
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahmXCOAixVMw&refer=us

Again... They still haven't learned yet...

> Moblin V2 vs. Ubuntu Netbook Remix vs. Ubuntu MID
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Last week Intel had pushed out a second alpha release of Moblin V2 and
> | now it boots even faster, which means they are down to the point of
> | being able to boot in just a few seconds. Beyond a very quick boot
> | process, they have already incorporated kernel mode-setting and other
> | newer Linux/X.Org technologies while also working to build a desktop
> | environment around the Clutter OpenGL tool-kit. Moblin is certainly
> | turning into an interesting Intel creation, but how does its performance
> | compare to other mobile-focused Linux distributions? We have benchmarked
> | Moblin V2 Alpha 2 and compared it against what is likely their biggest
> | competitor in the mobile space, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and the LPIA-based
> | Ubuntu MID edition. Which of these mobile operating systems is the
> | fastest? We hope to find out today.
> `----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=moblin_ubuntu_mobile&num=1

The whole point to the article is kinda of lost... None of this has anything
to do with windows... Again, microsoft looses out... and it's one of it's
old allies that's doing it... INTEL. That has to be giving Blammer heart
burn royal!

> What next for the netbook?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Price-wise I'd say that high-end netbooks are perhaps getting too far
> | away from the initial premise of a small, cheap companion. These days
> | the high-end models cost at least $900. Kogan Technologies is set to
> | shake things up with its $499 10-inch netbook running gOS - a flavour of
> | Linux designed to play nicely with Google services. I'm wondering if
> | this will put pressure on other netbook makers to get back to basics and
> | release a stripped-down 10 inch netbook to compete at around the $500
> | mark. Such a price war would certainly see netbooks take off again.
> `----

I'll wait for the ARM powered netbooks to com out... something below
$200.00... There will be a lot of niches that those could fill, that
windows just can't survive in.

Linux is a storm, coming in the night. You wont see it, but when the sun
rises, it'll be a whole new landscape.

                             From the desk of:
                             Jerome D. McBride

   09:03:12 up 7 days, 29 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00