[News] Another War on Photography and Society

Undigital Britain: A Vision For An Unconnected Policyscape

,----[ Quote ]
| The online planning for today’s Digital Britain Summit was poor even before
| the conference began - but the web output from the event itself could make a
| citizen wonder Lord Carter’s advisers are really best placed to make Britain
| digital…
`----

http://www.paidcontent.co.uk/entry/419-undigital-britain-a-vision-for-an-unconnected-policyscape/

Police delete London tourists' photos 'to prevent terrorism'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/16/police-delete-tourist-photos

Recent:

Britain's no-photographing-cops law: even the cops hate it

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's radio show As it Happens did a great
| job covering the new British law that makes it a crime to take a picture of a
| police officer or a building, where that picture might be useful in "planning
| an act of terrorism." First, they interviewed Peter Murray, Vice-President of
| the National Union of Journalists, who, predictably, worries that his members
| will find themselves with arrest-records as terrorists for violating the law.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/21/britains-nophotograp.html

No Photo Ban in Subways, Yet an Arrest

,----[ Quote ]
| Finished with his camera, Mr. Taylor, 30, was about to board the train when a
| police officer called to him. He stepped back from the train.
|
| “The cop wanted my ID, and I showed it to him,” Mr. Taylor said. “He told me
| I couldn’t take the pictures. I told him that’s not true, that the rules
| permitted it. He said I was wrong. I said, ‘I’m willing to bet your
| paycheck.’ ”
|
| Mr. Taylor was right. The officer was enforcing a nonexistent rule. And if
| recent experience is any guide, one paycheck won’t come close to covering
| what a wrongful arrest in this kind of case could cost the taxpayers.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/nyregion/18about.html?_r=3

Section 76 ignites new debate

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Union of Journalists, in association with BJP, has called for
| photographers to make their voices heard at a rally on 16 February as a new
| law is introduced that allows for the arrest - and potential imprisonment -
| of anyone who takes pictures of police officers 'likely to be useful to a
| person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'.
`----

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=839141

Related:

Elderly woman prohibiting from photographing empty swimming pool "to prevent
paedophilia"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/25/elderly-woman-prohib.html