[News] More New Evidence of GNU/Linux Desktop Growth Sparks Optimism

Linux in Trying Times: Growth Predictions Start to Materialize

,----[ Quote ]
| Depending on extraneous factors, one or two hundred dollars might not be a
| substantial enough difference to opt for a Linux machine, especially if
| you've never used Linux before. Even if half of those sales that make up the
| 61% revenue increase are attributable solely to a lower price point, it means
| the other half were spurred by something else.
|
| Personally, I paid for the convenience and powerful hardware. The fact that
| the software platform onboard was free and could do everything I needed
| reliably and quickly? That's not without value. This is
| where "cost-effective" steals the limelight from merely "inexpensive," and
| where open source has the real edge.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-in-trying-times-growth-predictions-start-to-materialize

Recent:

System76: Ubuntu PC Maker’s Revenue Up 61 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/04/15/system76-ubuntu-pc-makers-revenue-up-61-percent/

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat’s shares soared 17.3%, or $2.60, to $17.60 at the close on Thursday.
| Its shares have jumped 33.4% since the beginning of the year.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/26/red-hat-linux-markets-equity-technology.html

Red Hat returns to the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]