[News] [Rival] Microsoft May Have Killed Encarta by Buying It

Microsoft Encarta died - why? And will its contents be lost?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has recently announced that its beloved encyclopaedia, Microsoft
| Encarta, will soon be discontinued. After October 31, 2009 its contents will
| no longer be available. Both the online version and the CD ROM version will
| be discontinued.
| My first reaction was “what a pity”. My job is to gather and publish good
| contents. I know how much work goes into creating and publishing material.
| This news must have been quite hard to digest for people who have been
| working on Encarta for a while. The two main questions that come to mind,
| however, are: “Why?”, and more importantly, “What about the contents?”

Which Microsoft unit will die next? Details coming in a few days, for sure.

Microsoft Slaps PC Gamers, Decides to Close Ensemble Studios

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its legacy of producing some of the very finest strategy games with
| its Age of Empire and Age of Mythology series, Microsoft decided that it
| would be financially disadvantageous to continue to operate the wholly-owned
| Ensemble Studios.

Microsoft shuts down Ensemble Studios

Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
| and academic works for Live Search

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.

MSN Music Debacle Highlights EULA Dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| MSN Music’s EULA is a case in point. When active, MSN Music's webpage touted
| that customers could “choose their device and know its going to work”.
| But when customers went to purchase songs, they were shown legalese that
| stated the download service and the content provided were sold without
| warrantee. In other words, Microsoft doesn't promise you that the service or
| the music will work, or that you will always have access to music you bought.
| The flashy advertising promised your music, your way, but the fine print
| said, our way or the highway.

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]