Re: Businesses will postpone Windows 7 rollouts

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 16 April 2009 13:48 : \____

> <Quote>
> Windows Vista's left such a bad taste in the mouth it's become one
> reason most organizations won't be moving to Windows 7 next year.
>
> A poll of 1,100 Windows customers has found 84 per cent won't be
> adopting the successor to Windows Vista during the next twelve
> months....
>
> One reason companies won't move to Windows 7 is concern among
> businesses that their favorite software and hardware won't be
> compatible with the new operating system....
>
> For Microsoft, Windows Vista's opened the door to alternative
> operating systems.
>
> This year's Kace survey - the third - found half considering an
> alternative to Windows, the largest ever proportion and up from 42 per
> cent and 44 per cent in the last two years' polls. The number who
> actually made the switch hit 14 per cent, up from nine and 11 per cent
>
> Macs, meanwhile, are emerging as an alternative and establishing a
> firm presence in mainstream businesses outside the traditional niche
> of design shops or departments. More than 10 per cent of systems
> inside businesses are Macs thanks to what Kace called the
> consumerization of IT. That's thanks to a large number of IT people
> graduating from college having used a Mac and bringing their skills
> and experience into the workplace.
>
> Kace also noted an apparent upsurge in use of Ubuntu at the possible
> expense of Red Hat and SuSE Linux. ®
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/14/windows_7_rollout_delay/

Delay means "we put it on the ice and look at other things."

Mac OS X does not run on existing PCs except Apple's (which are expensive and
prone to breakage).

I've heard of Linux companies that sign a lot of contracts recently. There's
also this:

System76: Ubuntu PC Maker’s Revenue Up 61 Percent
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/04/15/system76-ubuntu-pc-makers-revenue-up-61-percent/

Maybe they can employ Gary and D00fie?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers