[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Chris Wilson is Destroying the W3C from the Inside

JavaScript battle enters final round

,----[ Quote ]
| The debate over ES4 turned at times acrimonious, with Microsoft IE architect
| Chris Wilson saying that it introduced too many changes and Mozilla architect
| Brendan Eich accusing Wilson of spreading "falsehoods" about the proposed
| standard.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/13/ecma_262/

The W3C suffers from the Microsoft cancer.

"In one piece of mail people were suggesting that Office had to work equally
well with all browsers and that we shouldn’t force Office users to use our
browser. This Is wrong and I wanted to correct this.

"Another suggestion In this mail was that we can’t make our own unilateral
extensions to HTML I was going to say this was wrong and correct this also."

                                --Bill Gates

http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/48910plex0_5879.pdf [PDF]

Related:

Speed test: Google Chrome beats Firefox, IE, Safari

,----[ Quote ]
| Google offers a site with five JavaScript benchmarks. On each one of these
| tests, Chrome clearly trounced the competition. I hope benchmarking experts
| and developers will weigh in with comments about how well these tests
| represent true JavaScript performance on the Web--either for ordinary sites
| or for rich Web apps.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Chrome is a warning shot over the bows of Internet Explorer, Firefox,
Safari, and Opera.

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software project, to be detailed later Tuesday at Google's
| headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., should dispel any lingering thoughts
| that the browser wars are over. To be sure, it is less cutthroat now than in
| the 1990s, but one of technology's most powerful companies is now on the
| battlefield.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62045726,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

New direction for 'JavaScript 2'

,----[ Quote ]
| Standardization efforts for the next version of JavaScript have taken a sharp
| turn this month, with some key changes in the Web scripting technology's
| direction.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/08/26/35NF-javascript-2-direction_1.html?source=NLC-DAILY&cgd=2008-08-26

Java developers get repository help

,----[ Quote ]
| Sonatype on Tuesday began offering a tool for Java developers to manage
| internal Maven-based code repositories and access external Maven
| repositories.
|
| The company's Nexus 1.0 product is a Maven repository manager; the Maven
| Central Repository itself features a repository for binary artifacts and
| publicly available project metadata, the company said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1255217015&rid=-50

Study: Java still top programming language

,----[ Quote ]
| Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
| Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
| with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
| C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html

Linux Development Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
| latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
| developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
| percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
| developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
|
| Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
| with 15.5 percent in 2009.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
| dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-development-thriving/

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista