[News] More GNU/Linux in the Daily Telegraph

Jaunty Jackalope... the Easter bunny just grew antlers

,----[ Quote ]
| I made the switch to Linux 3 years ago and have played around with various
| distributions, but find myself most at home with Ubuntu. Its power has
| allowed me to run freepbx phone systems, build small business network file
| storage and even deploy a motion sensing CCTV system. The flexibility of
| Linux lets anyone operate at their skill level and develop upwards, from
| beginner to Jedi master. You'll find it installed on devices ranging from
| mobile phones to corporate data centers. There's now even a super slick
| version of Ubuntu to replace XP on your netbook which boots exceptionally
| fast thanks to improved code and the new ext4 file system.
`----

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/dan_monsieurle/blog/2009/04/13/jaunty_jackalope_the_easter_bunny_just_grew_antlers

Related:

Bootcamp 531 - Tweaking the Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The advantages of Linux are apparent when you switch it on, there's no delay
| waiting for the hard drive to spin up and it is usually ready to use in
| around 30 - 40 seconds. Linux stability is legendary; it is very secure and
| virtually immune to viruses and malware (though it comes with a virus
| scanner, just in case...). Easy Mode, whilst not particularly appealing for
| grown-ups, is very easy to use and the Wi-Fi system is an absolute delight,
| almost always managing a fast, fuss-free connection whenever you are in range
| of a hotspot or access point.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/01/ecrboot101.xml

ASUS Eee PC-4: Little computers, next BIG thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus's original Eee PC launched the trend: based on the Linux operating
| system because it was cheaper and less technology-hungry than Windows, it had
| a 7in screen, Wi-Fi internet access, a webcam and an Office-style suite of
| applications. And it cost £200.
|
| It was a sell-out, and even now remains out of stock at most retailers. Some
| commentators criticised it as plasticky, but most realised this was the very
| best of the bargain basement: simple, rugged - and not wallet-busting if you
| did do a little damage.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/04/24/dlasus124.xml

Creative thinking [with Free Open Source Software]

,----[ Quote ]
| Freeware and shareware has its dark side though and there are some rogue
| programs around, especially among the many utilities that purport to keep PCs
| healthy. Some report false positives or deliberately infect a PC in an
| attempt to frighten users into paying for expensive (and often useless)
| repair programs. Fortunately, they are mostly confined to this relatively
| small area and easily avoided by not installing pirated software, clicking on
| website pop-ups and keeping your PC's defences up to date.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/11/18/dlcreat18.xml

Bootcamp 500: Ten uses for an old PC, part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| For reasons best known to the Linux community downloads are rarely
| straightforward, you have to negotiate a maze of files with similar sounding
| names to find the one you want, and Puppy Linux is no exception, so please
| pay attention.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/11/13/ecrboot13.xml

Bootcamp 499: Put a puppy in your PC Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| So what is this miraculous product? It's called Linux, and before you make
| your excuses and leave this is not geeky Linux, it's a small, cuddly, and
| incredibly easy to use version called Puppy Linux. It runs directly from
| a 'Live CD' so even if Windows is completely mangled you can still get your
| PC up and running and access data on the hard drive.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/11/12/ecrboot12.xml

Bootcamp 497: Ten uses for an old PC, part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| If you can't bear to dismantle your old PC, and it is still in good working
| order but no longer able to keep up with recent Windows applications you can
| continue to use it, have some fun and learn a few new tricks, by reformatting
| the drive and installing Linux.
|
| Linux is a free 'Open Source' operating system that has been popular with
| enthusiasts for years, but until fairly recently it required a degree of
| knowledge in order to use it. Within the last five years, though, newer
| versions or 'distributions' of Linux have come along that look, work and are
| as easy to use as Windows. With a Linux PC you can surf the web send and
| receive emails, play games, print documents and do pretty well all of the
| things you do with Windows. Most distributions come bundled with a good
| assortment of programs and a fully featured office suite that includes a
| powerful Word-compatible word processor, Excel compatible spreadsheet,
| presentation and database software.
|
| As an added bonus Linux flies along, even on ancient Windows 98 PCs. It is
| virtually immune to viruses and its stability and reliability are legendary.
| There are hundreds of distributions to chose from, the best known and most
| Windows-like being Linspire, Mandriva, Ubuntu and Fedora, there are almost
| too many in fact, but you will find an easy to follow guide to installing
| Linux in Boot Camp 446, and look out for a new Boot Camp series on the
| simplest route to Linux yet, starting in a couple of weeks.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/10/23/ecrboot22.xml

Connecting the world [with OLPC]

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO-1's frugal power requirements are due in part to a highly efficient
| central processing unit with on-board graphics processor and memory, and by
| using microchip memory instead of a hard drive to store data and the
| operating system - in this case a version of Linux, the open-source platform,
| although a Windows version may be available later.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/07/19/dlchildren119.xml

Let your computer fly free [with Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| he first port of call was finding an operating system that could replace
| Windows. Linux, the free, open-source platform, was the obvious choice. There
| are dozens of Linux-based systems to choose from, but one of the simplest to
| use is Ubuntu. You simply download and install it to your computer and hey
| presto - an operating system. In terms of look and feel, it's a little like a
| cross between Windows and the operating system used for Macs, but it has an
| intuitive interface and comes bundled with essentials such as a word
| processor, spreadsheet application and presentation software, and is fully
| compatible with Microsoft document formats for viewing and editing.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fconnected%2F2007%2F07%2F07%2Fdlfree07.xml

Telegraph floored by DDoS attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyber-attacks have been much in the news of late. Last week,
| Russian and European leaders held a summit in the aftermath of a
| three-week cycle of denial of service attacks targeting the
| Baltic countries' internet infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/telegraph_ddos/

Bootcamp 471: Office Software, the Freeware Alternative part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are in the market for a word processor or a suite of office
| programs then the obvious choice is Microsoft Word, or Office but
| there are alternatives. OpenOffice.org ('OO.o' to its many friends)
| is a free Open Source office suite that includes a spreadsheet,
| multimedia presentation and database software and an excellent
| word processor, called Writer, which is the focus of this week's
| Boot Camp. But first, as promised, we'll run through downloading
| and installation.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/04/10/ecrboot10.xml

Who needs TiVo when you've got a room full of geeks?

,----[ Quote ]
| The do-it-yourself operating system Linux hasn't exactly conquered
| the computer desktop, yet its advocates have set their sights on a
| bigger target: the TV set.
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/COLUMNISTS03/204040339/-1/columnists

The wow starts now? Two hours, two computers and £150 later...

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/portal/2007/02/13/ftvista13.xml