[News] Science Throws the Towel on the Proprietary Model

Scientific Learning Contributes Content to Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Scientific Learning Corp. has announced it will contribute neuroscience- and
| technology-based based activities from two of its educational products to
| open source program FreeReading.net.
|
| The open source program allows users to access, share, and copy online
| content legally, owing to what is known as a Creative Commons
| Attribution-Share Alike License, more commonly referred to as a "wiki"
| license.
`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/24253

Cloud Computing Brings Cost Of Protein Research Down To Earth

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2004, a group from the NIH developed and distributed an open-source
| alternative to commercial proteomics search programs, entitled Open Mass
| Spectrometry Algorithm (OMSSA). A second open-source proteomics database
| search is also now available; the X!Tandem, developed and released by the
| Bevis Laboratory at the University of Manitoba.
`----

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090410100940.htm

Strobist Designs Real Open Source Remote Trigger

,----[ Quote ]
| When I wrote about the Lumipro Flashgun (yes, the review is coming), a strobe
| designed by actually listening to the people who would buy it, I called
| it ‘open source’ (with the quotes). While, technically, it wasn’t true, it
| certainly followed the spirit of the project.
|
| Now, there is a true open source flash project. Called the SPOT (Strobist
| Project Opensource Trigger), it is a wireless trigger for off-camera flash,
| and by downloading the schematics and GPL-licensed` software, you can build
| it yourself for around $50.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/04/strobist-design.html

Recent:

Harvard starts teaching open source

,----[ Quote ]
| As with all Harvard case studies, there is no resolution to the dilemma -
| just the open question (pun intended): To open source or not to open source?
|
| Not open sourcing, as the case study implies, is a losing game. There is
| simply too much interest in open communities created to develop software in
| the image of those communities, and not in any single vendor's image.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9916323-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

Harvard to collect, disseminate scholarly articles for faculty

,----[ Quote ]
| In a move to disseminate faculty research and scholarship more broadly, the
| Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) voted Tuesday (Feb. 12) to give the
| University a worldwide license to make each faculty member’s scholarly
| articles available and to exercise the copyright in the articles, provided
| that the articles are not sold for a profit.
`----

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2008/02.14/99-fasvote.html

Harvard Research to Be Free Online

,----[ Quote ]