[News] De Facto Free Software for Healthcare Updated

Updated open source releases within OpenVista project

,----[ Quote ]
| Medsphere today announced the release of open source code for recently
| developed components of the comprehensive OpenVista electronic health record
| (EHR) solution.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1239306875

Some thoughts about the future of health care IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Beware Stimulating the Perversity of the Health Care system. Their are huge
| perverse incentives are “baked in” to our Disease Industrial Complex.   The
| commodity of this industry is disease, not health.  Regardless of the good
| intentions and expectations of individuals, the system forces them into
| less-than-virtuous behavior.  The current stimulus effort runs the risk of
| unintended consequences of stimulating the perversity of our system rather
| than the virtues we seek.  For example, it would appear that the greatest
| financial value derived from a universally available health record would be
| increased malpractice suits, because they would be able to program scanners
| that could automatically scan historical records with 20/20 hindsight and
| find some instance of an activity that in retrospect was the wrong path to
| take.  This in turn will lead to an even greater emphasis on defense medical
| practices.
`----

http://munnecke.com/blog/?p=571

Recent:

NHIN software released to open-source community

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal Health Architecture project released into the public domain the
| code for Connect, a software gateway that will let organizations outside the
| federal government share health information via the National Health
| Information Network.
`----

http://govhealthit.com/articles/2009/04/07/nhin-open-source-software.aspx

HIMSS day1: Medsphere