[News] GNU/Linux Inherits the Load of UNIX Empire

When did you first use Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| By 1995, though, I was giving up on the x86 Unixes. I saw the x86 Unix
| vendors were going to follow their mini-computer brothers into irrelevance by
| refusing to co-operate with each other on open standards. They couldn't get
| it through their heads that by making it impossible for ISVs (independent
| software vendors) to write programs that would run on more than one specific
| Unix brand, they were killing themselves off.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/when_did_you_first_use_linux

Sun software - Does it make diddly?

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source distribution model cannot generate the kind of profits that
| Sun's shareholders became accustomed to in the dot-com boom, where every deal
| started out with a Sparc/Solaris server and moved on to Oracle databases. Red
| Hat, with an installed base of paying customers in excess of 2.5 million Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux through the end of 2008, according to Jim Whitehurst,
| the company's president and CEO, had $652.6m in total revenues for its fiscal
| year ended February 28, up 17.5 per cent from the prior fiscal year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/10/sun_software_biz/

"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

Recent:

Why I love Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows apologists sometimes like to paint Unix as a dying dinosaur. That
| just shows their ignorance: if anything, Windows is the dinosaur in danger of
| being wiped out by Macs and Linux. While I might have put a lot more money in
| my bank accounts had I walked the Windows path, I'm glad that I didn't. I
| LIKE Unix. There's still nothing for me to like about Windows.
`----

http://aplawrence.com/Microsoft/why_I_love_unix.html

Microsoft and Its Three Biggest Threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft sees Linux as a much more significant competitor, even though its
| share of the desktop OS market is small. Here's why: "I think the dynamic
| with Linux is changing somewhat," Ballmer said at the meeting. "I assume
| we're going to see Android-based, Linux-based laptops, in addition to phones.
| We'll see Google more as a competitor in the desktop operating system
| business than we ever have before."
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3808396

Microsoft CEO Scoffs at Mac Share Gains