[News] Microsoft Raises Generation of Zombies, Free Software Clears Their Minds

Low power, flat-screen nirvana with Open Source software

,----[ Quote ]
| It started with the announcement by HM Gov that for 16 year-olds the Basic
| Skills component of GSCE Maths, English and ICT have been dropped. They were
| due to be introduced because employers complained (and Ruth Kelly agreed in
| 2005) that students could get good GCSE's in Maths, English and ICT but be
| functionally innumerate, illiterate and unable to do more than use MS Office.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2077&blogid=17

Recent:

All Tatarstan Schools Moving to Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Deputy Minister, in each of the school-level workshops are
| planned to open courses on the work of «Linux» students. But before that is
| still to prepare professionals who will lead these clubs.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/04/all-tatarstan-schools-moving-to-free.html

Open Source In Public K-12 Schools?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm a computer science major who has been recently getting involved in local
| grassroots politics in my county and state. I've been discussing the idea
| with some of my state legislatures of submitting a couple of resolutions,
| opening up to the idea of switching to open source software in our state's
| K-12 schools. I'm looking for more information/literature about this topic,
| open source solutions in public K-12 education, pros and cons, studies that
| prove or disprove many of the assumptions of open source and linux in public
| schools.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/27/1412202&from=rss

Related: