[News] Phorm Starts Enabling Internet Surveillance, Sells People Data

Phorm eyes launch after hard year

,----[ Quote ]
| Online advertising firm Phorm is pressing ahead with plans to launch more
| than a year after it first drew criticism from some privacy advocates.

Let's build profiles.

Recent:

Big websites urged to avoid Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| Seven of the UK's biggest web firms have been urged to opt out of a
| controversial ad-serving system.
|
| Phorm - aka Webwise - profiles users' browsing habits and serves up adverts
| based on which sites they visit.

Phorm CEO clashes with Berners-Lee at Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| Berners-Lee gave a passionate explanation of why he does not believe ISPs
| should on principle be allowed to intercept and profile their customers'
| internet usage. "It is very important that when click we click without a
| thought that a third party knows what we're clicking on," he said. "I have
| come here to defend the internet as a medium."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/11/phorm_berners_lee_westminster/

Uh oh, Google goes all Phorm on your ass

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course Phorm is not alone in the behavioral advertising space, but it has
| pretty much dominated the media coverage of the market since it started. The
| British police even got involved after British Telecom conducted secret Phorm
| trials.
|
| Now Phorm can probably breathe a sigh of relief as someone more headline
| worthy enters the 'we will track your browsing patterns and throw adverts at
| you that are the best fit' market. That someone, unfortunately, being Google.
|
| Google has kind of quietly announced, via the official blog, that it will
| be 'making ads more interesting.' I can only assume that was a display of
| irony on the part of the writer at Google, one Susan Wojcicki, VP of Product
| Management.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23766/1054/

Phorm Phorces Which? To Retract Critical Survey, Uses Defamation Threat

,----[ Quote ]
| The retraction came in so quick, we hadn’t even seen the original press
| release. Under legal pressure, consumer mag Which? on Wednesday hastily
| called back a survey it issued indicating public opposition to on-ISP
| behavioural ad targeter Phorm. Which? sent the following statement…
|
| “Urgent withdrawal of press release from Which? - Internet users say: don’t
| sell my surfing habits. Which? has received further information and
| representations from Phorm about the proposed Webwise service, and it has
| agreed to withdraw the above press release, issued under embargo on 24
| February 2008, while we consider them. Some of the information in the press
| release and related article is said to be inaccurate and as a consequence may
| be defamatory. You are strongly urged not to write an article based on the
| press release or the related article ‘Online privacy matters’ in Which?
| magazine.”
`----

http://www.paidcontent.co.uk/entry/419-phorm-phorces-which-to-retract-critical-survey-uses-defamation-threat/

More execs quit Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| When half of Phorm's board quit earlier this month, it was spun as a strategy
| disagreement between the US and UK operations. But now the firm's
| London-based UK chief executive has quit too, along with its chief
| beancounter.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/18/phorm_departures/

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

Police close file on BT's trials

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of London Police have said there will be no formal investigation of
| BT over its secret trials of an ad monitoring system.

Phorm secretly tracked Americans too

,----[ Quote ]
| of British Telecom customers as part of its grand scheme to target online ads
| from inside the world's ISPs, it was "operating a number of public commercial
| services" on various stateside networks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/phorm_us_tests/

Spy fear over e-mail check plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans to give local councils and other public bodies the power to monitor
| e-mail and internet traffic have been branded a "snoopers' charter".
|
| The government wants to make it mandatory for phone and internet companies to
| store all information on personal web use for 12 months.

Bad Phorm: EU demands UK Government response on intrusive web ad tracking
technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Controversial behavioral advertising targeting outfit Phorm, whose Webwise ad
| technology monitors user browsing habits to serve appropriate advertising
| messages, might have dragged the UK Government into a slugfest with the
| European Union over a possible breach of strict Euro data laws...
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19884/1054/

Controversial Ad Network Caught Editing Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/08/controversial-ad-network-caught-editing-wikipedia