Re: [News] Overview of Audio Applications for GNU/Linux

Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Didn't _Win_amp's developer ditch Windows too?
>
> If you mean Winamp, it's still going strong on Windows.  Maybe the
> Winamp developed ditched winamp.

The original creator of WinAMP, Justin Frankel, wrote this in 2004:

[quote]
For a long time I've been contemplating (and discussing with friends)
moving all of my software development over to open platforms. It's
something I really want to do, but unfortunately I haven't yet been able
to bring myself to it. Partly because I know win32 so well, and partly
because a lot of the apps I'm used to using aren't available on other
platforms. And the other part is that the userbases are so much smaller,
and while I don't really care about the commercial implications of that,
it does mean I can't take shit over to friends' houses and try it out
(though maybe Knoppix is a good way to mitigate around that). But I feel
like I'm getting closer and closer to ready. It just seems like the
right thing to be doing, especially given the way win32 is headed.
[/quote]

http://www.1014.org/?article=127

Today, he works at Cockos Inc., where he works on WDL, a "free and open
source C++ library":

http://cockos.com/wdl/

The license seems BSD-like.

And NINJAM, a "FREE collaborative musical jamming software system":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NINJAM

Which is proper GPL Free Software.

He also still produces software for the legacy Windows and Mac systems.

FYI:

WinAMP was assimilated by AOL when they took over Nullsoft in 1999.
Under AOL's direction (read: budget and pointy-hair decisions) WinAMP
went downhill rapidly thereafter, and version 3 was so bad that it
caused users to demand an update to the 2.x series, which AOL
reluctantly did with 2.95.

Meanwhile, Frankel was having all kinds of other problems with his new
slave-masters AOL. For a start, they weren't too happy with him
releasing a P2P filesharing program called Gnutella (one of the earliest
examples of the technology), and demanded he remove it, since such
software was antithetical to their company policies (or IOW it
threatened their imminent merger with Intellectual Monopolist - Time
Warner).

AOL did the same thing again some time later, when Frankel released
another P2P program called WASTE. At which point Frankel rushed out
version 5 of WinAMP (he skipped version 4, deciding instead to call it
5, after incorporating the best bits of versions 2+3) then quit his job.

The above post was made sometime shortly thereafter, as was this:

[quote]
"For me, coding is a form of self-expression," he explained in a blog
post that he would later remove. "The company controls the most
effective means of self-expression I have. This is unacceptable to me as
an individual, therefore I must leave."
[/quote]

http://www.slate.com/id/2109615

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Frankel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinAMP

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln

 02:09:26 up 152 days,  8:52,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00