[News] Op-ed: Cities to be Managed Like Free Software

The Future of Our Cities: Open, Crowdsourced, and Participatory

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the future that is coming to our cities, one way or another, whether
| city councils and agencies accept it right now or not. Either it will come in
| a trickle, as interested developers find ways to build these services without
| the city's consent, or it will come in a flood as cities get on board and
| help push things along.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/04/the-future-of-our-cities-open.html

Recent:

Towards the principles of open government data

,----[ Quote ]
| I got a sense for the importance of the task talking with Dan O’Neil, who
| is “people person” for Everyblock.com, a remarkable project headed by Adrian
| Holovaty designed to be a “one-stop shop” for information about urban
| neighborhoods, including building permits, crime reports, planned
| improvements, school information, etc. Dan’s job is to negotiate with
| government officials in the twenty cities Everyblock seeks to map, and gain
| access to vast geocoded data sets. Armed with a set of principles and best
| practices that government geeks can show to their bosses, his job would be a
| lot easier than it is right now.
`----

http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2007/12/09/towards-the-principles-of-open-government-data/

Open source is a low risk political strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| One question that arises is whether they could seriously have done otherwise.
| Given the potential of open to reduce the amount of tax payers’ money spent
| on national and local IT projects, would any politician be daft enough to
| speak out against open source.
|
| [...]
|
| P.S. A poll of the web sites of US Presidential hopefuls in June by Douglas
| Karr indicated that 48% were running Linux, compared to 43% running Windows
| and 9% FreeBSD. 70% of Democratic candidates were running Linux, compared to
| 31% of Republicans.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/23/open-source-is-a-low-risk-political-strategy/

Related:

French presidential candidates on free software, related issues

,----[ Quote ]
| The only question on which most candidates differed sharply was whether
| they were in favor of governments promoting open standards and free
| software. Yet, even here, the difference was mostly a matter of
| emphasis. Besancenot, Bové, Buffet, Le Pen, and Voynet all declared
| that they would encourage both open standards and free software,
| differing only on whether they would simply "encourage" them, as
| Le Pen promised, implement a policy favoring them, as Voynet suggested,
| or develop an agency to promote them, as Buffet suggested. By
| contrast, Bayrou and Royal, the two major candidates who responded,
| were more cautious, suggesting that such advocacy had to be tempered
| by the standards of responsible government. Bayrou in particular
| suggested that such principles as "good use of public funds," "freedom
| of access," and "equal treatment" were more important than promoting
| open standards and free software.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/21/007248&from=rss

The commie smear against open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Because proprietary companies will always spend more of their
| money on marketing than open source outfits, it pops up regularly
| in the best of places, such as at Time Magazine recently. Or
| Microsoft sends CEO Steve Ballmer to London, so he can rant
| about how his lawyers are going to make all Linux users pay
| Microsoft for their stuff.
|
| It's nonsense.
|
| This is not "the gift economy," as Justin Fox calls it in Time.
| This is people taking advantage of the fact that the Internet
| has no distribution costs, which means marketing costs can
| also sink to zero. No ads in Time doesn't make you a communist.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=946

Free software and politics in Yankeetown

,----[ Summary ]
| How free software tools helped to turn the tide against big development
| in a small Florida town
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_software_political_action

French National Assembly receives first open source laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptops come loaded with a customized version of Ubuntu 7.04 and
| productivity applications that include Firefox 2.0, OpenOffice.org 2.1,
| Thunderbird 2.0, Lightning, VLC Media Player and Adobe Reader.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/07/french-national-assembly-receives-first-open-source-laptops/

The French Parliament switches to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The French Parliament looks to be the next big Ubuntu switcher according to
| reports. Recently the Parliament produced an official government report
| that recommended the use of free software over proprietary software. The
| switch to free software is expected to provide a substantial savings to the
| tax-payers according to the government study.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/814

Linux reaches the Italian Parliament

,----[ Quote ]